Packaging requirements? Also, distribution direct to customers?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Meraki

Junior
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

We're new to the forum, and new to the industry. We're a new ciderhouse in California.

First, I'm wondering about our packaging options. Can anyone point me to federal or state requirements on how wine/cider has to be packaged? In more specific terms, we'd like to package some of our cider in glass growlers with screw tops. Does anyone know if that's legal? I'm assuming they would have to have heat-shrunk plastic at the very least, but I'm not sure.

Also, is it possible to distribute directly to customers (i.e. to drive cases to customers' homes, as opposed to using a delivery service). I'm asking from a legal perspective whether it's allowed. Again, any reference to laws stating the requirements/limitations would be helpful.

Thanks!

Welcome to the forum!

Sorry, just a home wine making hobbyist so can't help with your questions. Some knowledgeable folks will I'm certain post soon to answer your business questions.

You might want to contact Fed Ex and UPS and ask their requirements for packaging. As for the legality part, every state is different. You'll need to check your state laws.

Sorry, but I am confused on why you would not already know this. Any state/federal laws should be made aware to you when you applied for your license.

http://www.ttb.gov/other/regulations.shtml
this is the page that lists all of the TTB regulations I believe you would fall under CFR part 24, it should cover packaging regulations. Best I recall is that there is specific volume requirements which must be placed on the label as well as tested when filling bottles. specifics on bottle characteristics are not stated. you might want to check with a local regional TTB representative for clarification.
Your distribution regulations are dictated by the type of license you have and obviously state laws. again best check with your state Liquor board for these definitions or search for the state law online.

Julie - the laws are certainly available, I'm asking for help finding the right one. Laws are tediously written and difficult to sift through.

Salcoco - thank you!

Back