Mosti Mondiale Package has arrived, TY George

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

harlantk

CAUTION TO THE WIND!
Reaction score
My order arrived today, and thanks to George and his crew, the big hole in the side of the box and crushed ends, had me worried, until George said open it anyway, and what do I find! Another box!! safe & sound packed in peanuts, NO DAMAGE!! Great thinking George!
This will be my first "Kit" and will wait until tomorrow when I can complete the setup for making wine in my room. Dedicated space out of the way of all other activities around here.
Mosti Mondiale Vinifera Noble Caberlot for my first project.
Anxious, to say the least....
Kudos again George!!

Tim

you wont be buying commercial wine after this....you got hooked when you opened the box...buona fortuna!

You cant hurt one of Georges packages! There is enough peanuts in there to protect the space shuttle on re-entry!

We like to complain about the peanuts but they have saved us all (and George) many times over.

1st kit, fun times are ahead for you!
smiley32.gif

Man, I am tempted to order something to be delivered just so I can commiserate about the peanuts! Being local has many advantages, but if the box gets damaged between FVW and my house, it can only be because of something I did!

Caberlot - excellent choice!

:)
Yeah this is one time I am not concerned about all the peanuts to go......??.... where....? hmm
Little set back in my plans, drain backup in the room, so am snaking and making a nice mucky mess in there. Ahhh life
But I want a good draining system in there as well, epoxy the floor and be able to hose down when I feel like it.
It's all happenin!

Tim

Tim, so excited for you. I bet we all remember making our first kit and how exciting it was. Heck, I still get excited making a kit. What is wrong with me?? hahahaha
Enjoy the process, Tim!!
smiley36.gif

I made my first couple of kits in an empty 3x3 coat closet!
smiley36.gif

You will need lots of running water and a good drain for sure!

Keep us posted on the progress.
smiley1.gif

ibglowin said:
smiley36.gif

smiley1.gif

First thank you everyone for your encouragement here. :)
I had to call in a sewer man and hoping he will make it here yet today, but not going to proceed until he is finished and out of there. I chose a spot that was out of the way, no traffic, stable temps, small enough to control temp and humidity, Lots and Lots of running water and a "Plugged" Floor drain. LOL don't it just figure, the timing! But really its good timing, not when I have a bunch of activity in there, and to know everything is working properly :) Its worth the delay.
Tim

love the peanut comments.....always have my packages delivered to my office, and thank god, my staff will clean up after me....they go everywhere.....good luck on that first batch.....more to come i am sure...

ibglowin said:
smiley36.gif

smiley1.gif

Mike glad you came out of the closet finally
smiley36.gif
. Each and everyone of us grows in different ways! Still looking for another trivia question.

Well I am now on my 2nd sewer pipe fella, this one with big saws and I think he is planning a larger wine cellar for me. I mean I hope thats why they are like cutting up my floor n all!!????
I decided it was time to sit back for a couple days and drink a few lagers till this all settles out, was not sure I could substitute concrete dust for bentonite here.
I have to figure that if I am trying to start a new hobby, and things go to pot like this on the eve of its beginning, then maybe just maybe everything else will go like a clock works!
Like a plane hitting the house, 1:1,119,191,000
or maybe lightning striking the carboy..1:943,833,700,000
YEAH!
serious its an old house and like this fella said, it never was ever cleared out before and them old trees out there really did a number, funny they didn't pop through the bricks here!
*sigh* pops another beer......

Tim

And you are working right now on the most valuable tool you will ever have in wine making......PATIENCE

Waldo said:
And you are working right now on the most valuable tool you will ever have in wine making......PATIENCE

Yep!
Automatic built in lag times from here out!, but really this is giving me a time to clean things, and clean em all again, oh heck once more since I have finished organizing.
I am taking the time to do a little layout of future plans for racks to store bottles, maybe even a Bar and benches!
Room for vines, 4 rows will work little over 200 feet long...
All in due time :)

Tim

Patience has run thin.._____
So, since it looks like another week before I start my kit, I have been ordering materials, reading, reading and reading.
Step son (Ryan)(age 13) has like, become a leech over this adventure, watching and asking some questions, so .. well.... confession here:

We started a 2 can juice concentrate from the store "Old Orchard" Grape. Water to make SG of 1.090 slipped up and so added sugar to bring it back.
No acid test sorry, or ph or preparation, one packed EC 1118, tsp yeast nutrient, and let it go. Ryan is RIGHT THERE! to stir it twice a day. Temp is 76 degrees holding nicely.
But as far as patience goes, for a 13 Y/O after 2 days and it is not all done and Ryan has to leave for work camp today.
Bad idea starting this before his trip...... now he wants to stay home!
So promised him he can start another when he gets back :)
I am glad he took such an interest too, since his peers have began to push him to drink, and this way I can monitor and hopefully guide him in making decisions. He understands the house rules are no drinking until age 21, but I would rather he breaks a house rule than go behind me, and hopefully this too will give him a sense of responsibility around alcohol as well.
So when he gets back, we should have all the bits to go full force and learn the whole process properly, including the SO2 testing.
Patience.......

Tim and now Ryan too!

Hope those wern't those "magnetic" peanuts. The ones that when you throw away and they fly out of the box and stick to ya.

used to work at a place where we would always get them and you could never get away from them.

When I ship stuff UPS I always ask that they at least aim when they throw the package. They arn't impressed.

Tim your job now is to teach Ryan what good wine and beer taste lime so he doesn't drink the cheap swill kids buy to get drunk ;)
I can see it now "blech! This is rot gut! I can't drink this. The stuff I make with dad is so much better!"

Sounds like a good plan, my 6 year old son loves to make wine with me and cork the wine and hand over more bottles. If I were you on the next batch try 3 cans per gallon, 2 comes out a little thin in my opinion.

Yep!
The plan is to educate, and head off the pass with some of the folks round here.
Ryan does good at choosing his friends, and short of a few small issues, manages to stay away from the bad crowd.
It is so hard for the kids today, not like my days at all.
So heck if he is curious, it is a great way to learn the pleasures (later) and the science and the plain ol fun.
Again Yep Wade: I made a half gal actually SG came out at just about a halfer! so that has to mean at least 5 cans to a gallon right? Its thin too, for sure, it smells thin, a little off yet, SG dropped to 1.040 now,I'll rack it around 1.020 to primary. Toss a lil oak in maybe.Of course if (when) we do a juice again, Ill be ready with the toys :) thanks George!
I had to have a couple boxes of my old stuff shipped to me from when I moved back to Iowa, pH meter, lab glass ware and so on.Slow coming together but by Christmas Ill be ready to make some wine, Till then Ill Whine it around.
HAR HAR HAR

Be well gents!

Tim. AND Ryan too!

Latest posts

Back