Oxi Clean?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Straight A is also very good and does wonders on taking tough labels off bottles with a good soak that some other cleaners just wont handle. i buy that in a 5 lb. bag too.

Plan is to bottle the strawberry wine in the morning... I've been stalling. Stopped at 3 different grocery stores and none had the oxi clean or the proper sun brand cleaner. Neighbor makes beer and he gave me a container of Five Star PBW cleaner... do you know anything about this product?

PBW will clean just fine and do the job Oxi Clean will. It is a cleaner, not a sanitizer. It is a fine product.5 Star products are great quality. I use their sanitizer Star San for most all of my sanitizing needs. I occasionally use PBW as well.

Thanks Smurfe. info and directions were not that clear on the container. Would you say 1 oz per gallon of hot water.

Do you have a Walmart around there as thats where the Sun brand is found. I find it amazing that none of the stores carry Oxi as its the biggest thing since sliced bread!

they carry the oxi clean but with fragrance. dollar store had the sun brand but not the type I need

RkyMtnWine said:
Thanks Smurfe. info and directions were not that clear on the container. Would you say 1 oz per gallon of hot water.

That would work fine. You actually don't have to add that much but I usually add a 3-4 scoops to a 5 gallon batch. It works like Oxi Clean as it is an oxygen cleaner. I tend to add more Oxi or Sun than is needed though. If you have something really gunky just let it soak over night. It will be spotless the next day.

Hey Rocky, for what it's worth, I've been making wine for 3 1/2 years and have never used any soap or cleaner on my gear, I just wash with water and a rag and sanitize before and after use. (this may explain why my beer primarys are all brown, I might need some oxyclean myself?)

Thanks Smurfe... should be ready to bang pots, pans and glass bottles in the morning.. appreciate the info

quick stupid question, Easy Clean says it's a no-rinse cleanser on the label, but you guys say it cleans with oxygen, so does that mean if there was residue on the inside of a bottle from it during bottling it could oxidize the wine? Is it not enough to really matter or different reaction or what?

It is a cleaner, you should be sanitizing afterwards with k-meta or some other kind of sanitizer after cleaning.

While on this cleaning topic....

Tell me if this is overkill,

I empty the wine from carboy,rince well with hot water,Fill with 6 scoops oxyclean and let sit 1/2 hour, clean as well as carboy brush will allow,drain rinse with hot water,pour 1/2 gall. of sanitizer in and dance for a minute,leave 1/4 in bottom and cover with clingwrap.

Then before I use carboy, I empty sanitizer, add 1 gallon of cleaner,shake good ,empty,rinse and sanitize again. Between the carboys and cleaning equipment,, I really go through cleaner and Kmet.I don't want to chance anything spoiling my wine before it has a chance to be born!

Is this overkill, or am I too clean?

I have a spray bottle with kmet that I use on equipment that might have sat for 10 min before I use it.....

Nothing wrong with OCD Dr. Crane
smiley36.gif

I clean carboy with oxi, slosh it well, scrub it for about 5 minutes, rinse well, then put some k-meta solution in for 10 minutes, drain it after sloshing it over all surfaces and letting the fumes do their magic, then return the precious wine back to the carboy with a new sanitized airlock.

If glass is visibly clean, overclean is just wasting time and money IMHO. I like you rinse twice with hot water and if there is any residue, I fill the carboy and run the carboy brush around it to remove the scum. If there is stubborn residue, use the oxi-clean "whatever name", rinse. If no residue, I skip the step. I give it a quick drain and then ad 1 inch of sanitzer, put in a solid bung and quickly coat all glass. Then I put an airlock on it and it is ready to use next time. If it is more than 2 months between use, dump out the old sanitizer and rinse with new sanitizer before use.

I find plastic gets stained easily- fill with water and put in a couple small scoops of oxi-clean and it removes the stains after sitting a few hours to overnight.

Do you guys use the Oxi-clean Versatile or the Oxi-Clean Free? I think the versatile has the blue particles in it, which I whink someone said is fragrance? I think the free is fragrant free. I can only get the free in a large tub. The versatile is in smaller packaging.

Thanks.

smikes said:
While on this cleaning topic....

Tell me if this is overkill,

I empty the wine from carboy,rince well with hot water,Fill with 6 scoops oxyclean and let sit 1/2 hour, clean as well as carboy brush will allow,drain rinse with hot water,pour 1/2 gall. of sanitizer in and dance for a minute,leave 1/4 in bottom and cover with clingwrap.

Then before I use carboy, I empty sanitizer, add 1 gallon of cleaner,shake good ,empty,rinse and sanitize again. Between the carboys and cleaning equipment,, I really go through cleaner and Kmet.I don't want to chance anything spoiling my wine before it has a chance to be born!

Is this overkill, or am I too clean?

I have a spray bottle with kmet that I use on equipment that might have sat for 10 min before I use it.....

If it establishes rigid hygiene practices and you can afford it then there is nothing wrong with it. I will say it is definitely overkill though. The only thing I would probably change is the adding sanitizer after you clean after use. I normally wash my stuff after using and put away as I will clean again before use and sanitize.

Many try to scare you into thinking you have to have compete sterility in winemaking. You will never have anything sterile and in reality you don't want sterile. You want your stuff sanitary. Seriously. Just keep your stuff clean and your work area clean and you won't have problems. Clean your stuff after you use it and not just throw it in a drawer or bucket after use and clean it again before you use it and sanitize and you will be fine. The spray bottle of K-Mwta is an excellent way to sanitize after cleaning clean equipment.

Latest posts

Back