Oxi Clean?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RkyMtnWine

Reaction score
Noticed that quite a few of you experienced winemakers refer to using Oxi Clean for cleaning your equipment prior to sanitizing. I stopped at two stores to get this product and the only oxi clean I could find was in the laundry soap area.... nothing in all purpose cleaners. I picked up a small container but it appears more for laundry... but it does state that it is used grease and grime, outdoor items and decks.. Is this the one you guys use?

It is likely the same one others use. It is an all-purpose oxygen based cleaner product. B-Brite and One-Step are related products and they all do a great job in cleansing.

Yes, that is the oxyclean we use. It's primarily marketed for laundry, but it is an organic peroxide that is an excellent cleaner. It comes two ways. Basic Oxyclean is a white powder. That is the one you want to use. It is also sold with little blue crystals in it. The blue crystals are a fragrance. You don't want to use that one.

Well Drat!!! The one I picked up has those blue crystals in... guess I could pick them out... geeze. Back to the store.

You can also find Sun brand cleaner at the Dollar General or Family Dollar stores. Its a cheaper alternative of the same product.

Yes, we use the Oxy Clean form the laundry isle. It is sometime tough to find the Oxy Free. You can use the Oxy with the crystals in it to clean glass and stainless but don't use it on plastic.As Gaudet mentioned if you can find Sun Brand cleaner it is an off brand of the same stuff and doesn't have the flavor crystals in it. It is cheaper as well. I can get it at Wal Mart but is actually cheaper at Dollar General stores around here.

I bought two used carboys that were previously used for beer making. They had some debris and a few stains. I used it on both of them and they cleaned to perfection as far as I can tell. Smurfe first recommended it to me.

Waldo, I think the Sun works just fine. I tend to dump an extra scoop in when I use it but it is a whole lot cheaper and lots of the time it is the only kind I can find that is scent free. It's some good stuff. I have used it in flasks I have burnt extract in making starters, on my boil pot after boil overs and getting the wort baked on, etc. and it cleans them up just fine.

I used Sun brand on a carboy yesterday that had some build up from our water that has lots of calcium...It was sparkling bright in no time....
smiley4.gif

OK, made a trip to the dollar store. Check this out... reading the instructions makes me think I should toss a load of clothes in with the equipment.

20081108_092243_100_2769_WinCE.jpg

That looks more like a laundry detergent but not sure what the difference would be so hopefully someone else chimes in here that knows of the product you bought. I use the Oxi and what Gaudet has posted and never seen anything in the box.

Yeah, I think I got the wrong stuff again... The dollar store did not have what Gaudet showed. Oh well... soap is soap.. Right? just use something generic without fragrance or all those other goodies in it.

OxyClean and the Sun Oxygen Cleaner is NOT soap.

Use your boxed stuff in your laundry and get the Oxygen Cleaner for you wine stuff....We don't want soap in our winemaking stuff.....
smiley4.gif

My sun cleaner is suggested use of adding a scoop to every laundry load.

smiley20.gif

RkyMtnWine said:
OK, made a trip to the dollar store. Check this out... reading the instructions makes me think I should toss a load of clothes in with the equipment.

20081108_092243_100_2769_WinCE.jpg

That is laundry detergent. Sun has an entire line of cleaning products. What Gaudet posted is the oxygen based cleaner. What you posted is soap. You can add the oxygen cleaner to laundry as well to boost the cleaning power of the soap/detergent you use.

George sells active oxygen cleaners. B-Brite, Easy Clean, and One Step are all oxygen based cleaners and all work very well. Look at this page for those type cleaners.

http://www.finevinewines.com/Home-Wine-Making-Cleaning-Supplies.asp

I like the B-Brite. It cleans very well and I just buy it by the 5 pound bag. I have used the One-Step also and it works just as well but comes in smaller packages and is fairly pricey by the pound(although it goes a long ways). Any of them will take the purple stains right off the primaries, etc.

Latest posts

Back