Overly sweet Blackberry wine blend help

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

toddrod

Reaction score
Today, while back sweetening my 2013 blackberry wine I accidently put to much sugar in and got a back sweetened SG of 1.050. Way to sweet for my taste as I was aiming for 1.01.

So my question is what type of dry wine would be good for blending with this blackberry to tone down the sweetness? I will be making another batch of dry blackberry for blending with this but that is 5-6 months down the line before it is ready. I will have to buy what ever is recommended as I do not have any type of dry wine in my stocks.

Toddrod, I did the same thing, but my over sweet Blackberry was 1.021. Too sweet for me. So I ordered a Blackberry concentrate from Dundee, Mi. To make a quick 5 gals. Now at 3 weeks old its .996, may go a hair lower. Once stabilized ill let it age 1-3 months on its own, then blend it with the over sweet Blackberry. I have made their Blackberry Wine before & it's pretty good, so I'm not worried about blending it. Roy

Elderberry blends well with blackberry or blueberry. I think a moscato and blackberry would make am nice wine or blackberry and niagara.

I am planning on using 2 gallons of this wine to mix with others wines and the remaining will be with the new batch of blackberry.

2 of the best selling wines in my area are blackberry / merlot blends. There is a blueberry wine on the store shelves I will probably try as well.

What about blackberry / cabernet blend? I see that offered in the Mist type wine kits?

Blackberry goes really well with nearly any red. Lambert Winery in WV makes a blackberry/Merlot which is very excellent. I'll bet Cab would be great!

I tried a 50/50 mix of Blackberry with Gallo Merlot and a Gallo Cab tonight. Both taste very nice. I think I will mix more of this

Just be sure to blend them in the glass---don't blend them and bottle them unless you're sure there has been no MLF done to the Merlot and Cab. Your blackberry has sorbate in it---you don't want sorbate in an MLF or you risk getting a geranium flavor.

Back