Overflowing primary

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RkyMtnWine

Reaction score
<DIV ="mediaContainer">
th_012509001-2.jpg

<DIV ="mediaContainer">This is the result of not allowing room for the pulp bag when adding water to 6 gallon level.
smiley24.gif
Pasted this video from photobucket but dont believe its working

When I make wine from fruit I use 2 buckets. I split the fruit in half put in bag and add everything else in half. Trick also is to NOT seal the lid that way you have less chance of an overflow.

We all learn from our mistakes
smiley2.gif

I do as tepe does with the split buckets but will eventually invest in a 10 gallon bucket.

Well, It still looks good
smiley14.gif

We need to start a wine bloopers real.
smiley36.gif

I have a 9 gallon and a it is great!!

I love my 10 gallon bucket! I started my Chocolate Cherry Mel early January and used D254 yeast. The info on the yeast said it should be an active fermentation but I did not even think about it and put everything in my 7.9 gallon fermenter. Big mistake it was a very, very active fermentation. Fortunately I caught it early enough to move everything to the larger fermenter and still the bubbles reached the lid. This was a 5 gallon batch with no pulp bag. Lesson learned!
VPC

i feel your pain Rocky....this fall when we did a bit over 3000 pounds i had the cap in two primaries holding up their lids approximately six inches above the primary by the day after ferment really took off...that first day was a mess on punch down

I also use 2 buckets for my fruit wines....I always make bigger batches and you never know how much foam you'll get....Easier to lift too.

vcasey said:
I love my 10 gallon bucket! I started my Chocolate Cherry Mel early January and used D254 yeast. The info on the yeast said it should be an active fermentation but I did not even think about it and put everything in my 7.9 gallon fermenter. Big mistake it was a very, very active fermentation. Fortunately I caught it early enough to move everything to the larger fermenter and still the bubbles reached the lid. This was a 5 gallon batch with no pulp bag. Lesson learned!
VPC

So tell us where did you get a 10 gallon bucket?

I got it from George. I had heard that the Mosti Renaissance Amarone had a habit of foaming over the 7.9 gallon buckets. So when I ordered the wine I also got the larger fermenter. I'm glad because it would have overflowed and I may have lost some of that wonderful wine.
VPC

Good idea Rocky Top... I could add my broken 5 gal carboy, with wine in it.. and the two broken hydrometers.. one just last night.. frustrating, at least i have a spare.

Watched the fermentor closely... action did settle down and did not have to syphon off.

<DIV =mediaContainer>
20090126_055737_01_26_09_001_Sm.JPG

Latest posts

Back