Organic Kits?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robin

Junior
Reaction score
Do you know of any company that sells organic juice with nothing added?

The no preservatives is probably the easier part to find. Given that the sugar content of wine kits is so high, there is very little reason for preservatives to be added. The organically grown part might be nearly impossible. Most wine kits come from a variety of vineyards and the possibility that all of those meet organic rules is pretty much impossible, so I doubt that any of them would put that on their packaging. and a just so you are aware Organically grown can have some sprays used on them, so take that for what it is worth.

The no preservatives is probably the easier part to find. Given that the sugar content of wine kits is so high, there is very little reason for preservatives to be added. The organically grown part might be nearly impossible. Most wine kits come from a variety of vineyards and the possibility that all of those meet organic rules is pretty much impossible, so I doubt that any of them would put that on their packaging. and a just so you are aware Organically grown can have some sprays used on them, so take that for what it is worth.
Yes Organics can have sprays but htey are not toxic to life. Thanks for your feedback.

Not a kit, but I made wine (or maybe cider . . ?) from organic white grape juice, Target's store brand called Simply Balanced. It was a long time ago but I remember it came out surprisingly good but I don't remember much more than that. For the price, about $3.50 per half gal., it's worth a fun experiment.

Not trying to sway your views one way or the other, but the term "organic" is mostly marketing jargon used to inflate prices. If you want truly organic juice without pesticides, the only way to guarantee it is if you grow them yourself.

Robin you are talking about a specialized market. First is organically grown and second is a variety which will make a good wine. Yes there is organic grape juice at stores as Whole Foods or Trader Joe’s. Harder to find will be a variety as Merlot or Chardonnay or Petite Pearl or Briana which are normal wine varieties. I have been in the organic store enough that I know someone is producing enough that 750 ml bottles show up. A guess is you need to look local and visit the grower to get any. (ex Big Creek; Pa)
A work around could be to ask what is missing? as longer tannic flavor notes and then add an organic source of this. ,,, example cranberry has long notes and is in the Whole Foods network (use 5 to 10%) ,,, or crab apple as yard plantings isn’t typically sprayed and some varieties are excellent tannin sources (ie use 1%). Without a good tannin/ lots of tannin shelf life will be an issue.
The organic country wines which my local Clover Meadows (Wi) produces suffer from oxidation, ,,, a lot gets recycled into organic brandy so that it finally sells. He also makes Frontenac (a northern red) which has enough antioxidants via the skins that I have bought his 750 ml bottle, ,,, BUT it won’t do years of shelf life though.
I laugh at the 750 ml grocery red wines since they all seem to have the legally required disclosure “contains sulphites”.
Do you know of any company that sells organic juice with nothing added?
From a food industry point of view the shelf stable bottles of juice will not have anything added. ,,, we don’t have to, ,,, steam is within the organic regulations. Sourcing wise the grower is in a market which demands yield and no blemishes, so the grower is the guilty one.

Yes Organics can have sprays but htey are not toxic to life. Thanks for your feedback.

Actually the converse is true - some of the organic approved pesticides are orders of magnitude more toxic than their evil commercial alternatives. Copper sulfate for example is 100% natural and it will absolutely kill the applicator unless he takes extreme precautions.

Latest posts

Back