Quantcast

Ordered a Pail, got a Kit

Wine Making Talk

Help Support Wine Making Talk:

richmke

Reaction score
I ordered my first fresh juice pail, and was excited they are being delivered this week. Arrived at the store, and they said the supplier shorted them my item :slp They offered me: 1) refund; 2) another pail that they had extra of; 3) any kit they have in stock.

I would have selected another pail, but I already had those kits going. I suppose I could have compared kit to pail. But, I chose an RJS EP Viognier. Unfortunately I didn't realize it was a white, and I normally make reds. Oh well.

In any case, I got an En Premier for a great price.

Mismost

Reaction score
You know sometimes these unplanned things turn out really well in spite of what you wanted! I like reds too, but sometimes a white is just right.
Hope it turns out great!

Boatboy24

No longer a newbie, but still clueless.
Reaction score
You know; for the price of an EP kit, you could buy almost three juice buckets. I'd say they did right by you.

Viognier is a wonderful, aromatic white wine - probably my favorite.

Johnd

WMT Supporter
Reaction score
Yep, I'd say that you got the better end of that deal for sure!!!!!!!

TXWineDuo

Reaction score
Sounds like a good trade, Viognier is a good white.

@Boatboy24 where do you get those juice pails that cheap at?

TXWineDuo

Boatboy24

Reaction score
Sounds like a good trade, Viognier is a good white.

@Boatboy24 where do you get those juice pails that cheap at?

TXWineDuo
Harford Winery - north of Baltimore. Just picked up a Lodi Viognier bucket last weekend for $55.

bkisel

Reaction score
As the title of one of Shakespeare's play says... All's well that ends well

sour_grapes

Victim of the Invasion of the Avatar Snatchers
Reaction score
This is funny, Rich! In late summer, I went into Northern Brewer (which is where I assume you are talking about) to buy an EP Viognier. Instead, I wound up ordering a Viognier juice bucket! It was also my first juice bucket, and I just got it yesterday.

Boatboy24

Reaction score
This is funny, Rich! In late summer, I went into Northern Brewer (which is where I assume you are talking about) to buy an EP Viognier. Instead, I wound up ordering a Viognier juice bucket! It was also my first juice bucket, and I just got it yesterday.
Hey Paul! Welcome back!

DoctorCAD

Reaction score
My best kit was a viognier. Second best, a petit syrah, which I am currently enjoying as I type.

sour_grapes

Victim of the Invasion of the Avatar Snatchers
Reaction score
Thanks, now I have the "Welcome back Kotter" theme running through my brain.

Gee, thanks, Craig. Now I do, too! :)

The pail came pre-pitched with EC-1118. The instructions said that, as an advanced option, you could "add k-meta and kill the yeast," then add your own. I did not really buy that, but decided to give it a try. I added 1/4 tsp of k-meta, and at the same time, made a D-47 starter with a (reserved) quart of the Viognier juice. The starter turned out very well. Tonight (24 hrs later) I added the starter to the pail. Keep your fingers crossed for me!

ceeaton

Sixth year
Reaction score
Keep your fingers crossed for me!
I purchased a white zin bucket that was starting to really take off (I'm assuming with yeast from the grapes) when I picked it up. Added a starter of GRE and it definitely took over whatever had started fermenting when it was shipped. No noticeable problems other than I have a wine that is darker than I expected. Juice might have been that dark but I was just going through the motions while I made it because it was for my wife and her friends to enjoy (White Zin isn't at the top of my like list).

Here's to a strong fermentation going gangbusters tomorrow when you wake up (I'm finishing a glass of wine and heading to bed).

Latest posts