RJ Spagnols Orchard Breezin Kit- funny smell

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tiffany

Reaction score
Has anyone had an issue with a funny smell when making these kits? We have made roughly 20 kits and have never encountered this until now. The other kits we have made havesmelled like the fruit they were flavored with, such as the Blackberry Merlot smelled like Blackberries etc. The last two, Sevielle Orange Sangria and the latest one Black Cherry Pinot Noir taste fine but do not smell fruity. It has a sort of strong beer like smell. We have always added the same amount of sugar as with the other kits. The only difference is that we let it sit in the primary about a week longer due to time. Could this make a difference?

I just finished a Breezin Seville Orange Sangria and a Black Cherry Pinot Noir about 3 weeks ago. I normally add about 4 cups of corn sugar to my kits to kick them up.They both have a nice fruity aroma and the flavor is great, the Sangria is one of my favorites.Did you get it degassed good?

Our local Wine Guy said we let it ferment too long. Must have been correct. We have made sure to rack it right around .998 and not let it sit any longer and all others turned out fine. We actually add 7 1/2 cups of sugar to them to bring them to around 11%. They turn out great. But don't make the mistake of letting them ferment too long! We had one that turned out like a jet fuel taste. After some time it came out of it some but not completely!
smiley1.gif

Latest posts

Back