Other Orchard Breezin, Island Mist etc

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GaDawg

Reaction score
I have just bottled my RJS Watermelon Wave. I added 5 lbs of sugar. I am not a big fan of super sweet wine but my non wine friends seem to like it. What have or do ya'll make in this ?frute category? What do ya'll or the wife thank is good?:a1

IM Blackberry Cabernet was my first foray. Since then I have made the IM Exotic Fruit White Zin, and IM Greenapple Riesling. The IM GA is the wife's favorite, and favorite gift to her friends, so I had to make a 2nd batch.

In all cases, I add 3# of sugar, and 1/2 of the f-pack up front. In the future, I might up the f-pack to 2/3 up front. It boosts the alcohol, and cuts the sweetness.

Our favorite is the White Cranberry Pinot Gris. Also like the Exotic Fruit White Zin and the Strawberry White Merlot. We also add three pounds of sugar to ours up front. Our daughter in law really likes the Pom Zin. Our son in law is a big fan of the Black Raspberry Merlot. Haven't made one yet that we didn't like. The Pom Zin and Black Raspberry both seem to take 3-4 months to be good. 6 months is even better. Most of the others have been ready earlier.

Sent from my iPad using Wine Making

Last edited:
The hottness from the alcohol just overwhelms the sweetness.

Doc, that has not been my experience. My SG started at 1.092 and ended at .992 which gave me an alcohol level of 13.10%. Most commercial wine is between 12-15%. I am sure my Watermelon Wave would have that alcohol hotness if one drank it young out of the carboy, but after 6 mo. in the bottle it has been my experience that the hotness is not present and the extra sweetness does not come back. Chaptalization is not a bad thing:ft

Doc, that has not been my experience. My SG started at 1.092 and ended at .992 which gave me an alcohol level of 13.10%. Most commercial wine is between 12-15%. I am sure my Watermelon Wave would have that alcohol hotness if one drank it young out of the carboy, but after 6 mo. in the bottle it has been my experience that the hotness is not present and the extra sweetness does not come back. Chaptalization is not a bad thing:ft

But Island Mist kits are supposed to be 6% or so and to be drunk quickly, long before the alcohol hottness mellows.

If that is not your intent, then YES, chapitalization is a good thing.

Back