RJ Spagnols Orchard Breezin - Blackberry Merlot

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am doing this same kit as my 1st. Thanks for posting this. It looks like the same as mine except I am at day 8 now and my reading has been at 1.00 for 3 days now. The temp. at day 7 was 74 but my brew belt says it works a max of 8 days. Any ideas or help on this would be great. Is it just taking some time before my reading will begin dropping again? Thanks

I haven't made this kit, but give time...It will make a very nice summer drink...Good luck

Welcome doughort.

Don't worry about leaving the belt on more than 8 days. That is being ultra-safe. Many leave then on longer with no ill effects. Don't worry if this doesn't go a lot lower. Keep it in there as long as it suggests and if it doesn't move any more, just continue on. This is not a dry wine, so if it doesn't go all the way there, no problem. Just continue with the instruction.s

Bottled:

20090206_103940_100_1285.JPG

20090206_103748_100_1282.JPG

30 bottles. One had to go to qa department.....
smiley4.gif
. Two given away to my parents. Up next. Winexpert VR Riesling

I ordered this as my first kit. I do like the way that pyment sounds. I might try that right off of the bat. Your wine looks cool in the bottles.

I made a mistake when I posted that. I got the Blackberry Cabernet. I got them confused. Sorry about that.

Hi there. I saw this post and wondered how this turned out? I have the Blackberry Merlot going now, should be done middle of March. I was a little concerned it might be too sweet. I did add extra sugar to bring mine to a wine alcohol content instead of the typical 6.5% for the kits. Anyway, just wondered how you like it!

One thing to note Tiffany is that there are only a few seies of wine kits out there that are that low in ABV. The Island Mist from Winexpert and the Orchard Breezin are tow George sells and there are a couple others out there. The typical wine kit though runs about 11.5- 14% ABV so if you want a stronger wine, just buy a different series. The Mosti Vinifera Noble series are a great inexpensive series of kits available in many varieties. Give one of them a try next and you will be pleasantly surprised with their abundant flavors and quality for the price.

If you are worried about them being to sweet, taste as you add the f-pack and stop whenyou are happy as if adding the whole pack it might make it sweeter then you want so add some, tsate it, add more if wanted and taste again, repeat!!!!!!!

Thanks to both of you! I will keep that in mind. I haven't ventured out too much. I may try the other kit next time Appleman! I will also check the sweetness before adding the entire F Pack Wade.
smiley1.gif
Great place to learn!

Tiffany said:
Hi there. I saw this post and wondered how this turned out? I have the Blackberry Merlot going now, should be done middle of March. I was a little concerned it might be too sweet. I did add extra sugar to bring mine to a wine alcohol content instead of the typical 6.5% for the kits. Anyway, just wondered how you like it!

The sweetness seems to even out after some time in the bottle. We like them sweet. I think your's might turn out, ok with the higher alcohol %. So far about 8 bottles are gone including some that were given to family and friends. So it must be good.

Tiffany said:
Bobby, how long did you let it bottle age?

Not very long. We had half a bottle extra that we drank same night it was bottled. We had a few bottles at a birthday party about 4 days later and it had good reviews. It does improve with time. We were going to have a bottle tonight. Had the problem of a stuck cork and broke my only corkscrew.
smiley18.gif
smiley7.gif

Everyone's descriptions of this sounded tasty so I picked up a Blackberry/Cherry Pinot noir. This is my first sweet wine so I too can't wait to see how it turns out. I am adding extra sugar at the start to increase the alcohol level.

Oh, make note to self..... must buy extra corkscrew
smiley2.gif

sure would not want to be in the situation of not being able to open a bottle of wine!!!
TinaLouise

Seriously? You only had one cork screw? I have three at my house, one in my glove box and my husband has a knife he carries that has one. I would be very upset if I couldn't get my wine opened
smiley2.gif

That is what I was wondering on the Blackberry Merlot. It suggests bottle aging 2 to 3 months but can drank early like the Island Mist Green Apple Riesling we just finished. Thanks!!

Back