Orange Blossom Honey

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gaudet

Reaction score
Today I got 6 pounds of Orange Blossom Honey. What can I make with it? I liked Waldo's lime mead recipe. Would the citrus flavors of the lime and the OBH mix? Anyone try lime mead with OBH?

That sounds like a good idea. Now I need to look for a few recipes to guide me.

I agree wiith wade gaudet, I would make a plain mead from that. I think you would want it finish a little sweet too.
I think Masta made mead from this honey, maybe he will drop in and give you some tips/hints.

I want to just do a 1 or 2 gallon batch. I have a few different yeasts to choose from. I have lavlin d47, lavlin kv1-1116, Montrachet, Red star Pasteur Champagne. And I want to finish it sweet. I am awaiting an order for George (I'm out of campden tabs and pectic enzyme).

I would even think of using this yeast but must say I havent tried it.
<table ="Catalog" id="products" width="100%" align="center" border="1" bordercolor="#000000" cellpadding="2" cellspacing="0"><t><tr><td ="table" width="2%" align="default"><div align="center">WLP720 </td>
<td width="5%"><div align="center">
%5Cimages%5Cnopicava2.GIF
</td>
<td width="20%">

Sweet Mead/Wine Liquid Yeast
</td>
<td width="2%"><div align="right">$8.99</td>
<td width="2%">
</td></tr></t></table>If I were going to use 1 from the list of yeasts that you listed then I would go with the Montrachet.

I am plotting to start a 5 gallon batch on Friday. Here is my initial recipe.

8 pounds Orange Blossom honey
2-4 pounds clover honey
juice and zest from4 large oranges
Yeast nutrient as recommended
Yeast energizer as recommended
Water to bring to to 5.5 gallons

What SG should I shoot for? I'm thinking 1.085-1.090 (b/t 11-12% ABV). I want to finish it semi-sweet to sweet. Would it be advisable to ferment dry and then back sweeten with the clover honey?

I have started with a high SG and finished where I wanted on 2 batches leaving it sweet but it is risky as if it does not stop you will have a very high SG or worse if it stops early you will have a very sweet wine so fermenting to dry is best.

I agree with Wade it is easier to let it go to dry and back sweeten later. I have also been pretty lucky and started with a high SG and ended where I wanted but you never know. If you do start with a high SG be very careful what yeast you use, Champagne yeast will eat through everything. I bottled a batch of straight Orange Blossom Mead in May and started with 4 lbs. of honey per gallon the starting SG was 1103 and it stoped at 1002 using d47. Its right at 15% which is about the yeasts limit and pretty good at bottling.
The only thing that I see with your recipe is that you may need more honey just to reach your target starting point. Also you may want to make sure you have a good starter because sometimes meads can be slow to start.
VPC

Thanks for the input guys. I really want to do it right. I have 18 pounds of honey just waiting for fermenting. I was thinking of using either Montrachet or D47 Lalvin.

Done

Orange Blossom Mead (6 Gallon)
9#'s Orange Blossom honey
6#'s Clover honey
1 pint orange juice (fresh squeezed)
Zest of 3 oranges

Initial SG 1.090 PA 12.7%
1 TBS Pectic enzyme
1TBS Yeast energizer
2 TBS Yeast Nutrient</span>
D47 Lavlin Yeast rehydrated in a cup of the must.

Wish me luck. Any advice is greatly appreciated as usual.

Mike

<a href="file:///C:%5CDOCUME%7E1%5CMichael%5CLOCALS%7E1%5CTemp%5Cmsohtmlclip1%5C01%5Cclip_colorschememapping.xml" target="_blank">
</a>Edited by: gaudet

If you havent added the nutrient yet then do so in steps. I usually do 1/2 up front and the rest at 1.035 but Dean just posted what he does in another topic and I like his idea better. He does 1/3 at start, 1/3 at 1.050 and the last 1/3 at 1.020.

I added it all up front. I noticed Dean's advice after I had mixed and pitched yeast. I will remember it for the next time I make a batch.

Opened it up today. I stirred and took the SG 1.072

It smelled awesome......................

Shot of must pre yeast

obhmust4651395hj4.th.jpg
</a>

Edited by: gaudet

Doing the best that I can. You might be smelling the Boston Butt I got in the smoker running on pecan smoke right now.
smiley20.gif

That it is........ Its hit a plateau at about 165 degrees, and I keep feeding the fire. Might have to change tactics and move the fire closer to the chamber.

Back to mead though. When should I rack this to glass(what SG)? When I do rack it should I transfer all the lees with it? I read that you should leave it on the lees for a while as they make it more flavorful unlike regular wine.

Edited by: gaudet

I would rack around 1.025 and take almost everything especially since there is really nothing to go bad here like rotting fruit. Just stir it every day or other day.

Back