Orange-Banana wine started to ferment again

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sirden1959

Reaction score
I have a question concerning fermentation.

Quick back ground I have been making wine for abut a year. I prefer dry wines, but will the girl friend wants some sweeter wine.

My Orange-Banana wine was about ready to be bottled. The wine has been racked twice settlement very fine, small amount. It been about 6 months since primary fermentation, So I back sweetened it. Well it started to secondary fermentation ( may not be the correct wording). I thought it was off gassing but took advice from here tested it with the hydrometer, yup started fermenting again.

Should I just let the wine finish secondary fermentation? Or should I add a camden tablet or something to stop the fermentation. I would like to back sweeten the wine eventually.

And yes no wine sall be drank before it's time has come.

Let it finish. Nothing except extensive filtering will really stop a ferment. And that is very labor intensive/time consuming.
Did you k-meta and sorbate at least a week before backsweetening? I think this may be your problem.....

Let it finish. Nothing except extensive filtering will really stop a ferment. And that is very labor intensive/time consuming.
Did you k-meta and sorbate at least a week before backsweetening? I think this may be your problem.....

NO I never used any K-meta and sorbate... Today I took another Hydro reading one it has stopped, the other bottles have a little ways to go... Oh well when they top fermenting I will do it this time... Thanks for advice

Make sure you give that sorbate about a week to work before backsweetening.
;) Glad I could help!

Latest posts

Back