Opps

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

D&S

Junior
Reaction score
I just added 3/4 tsp of potassium metabisulphate to 4 gallons of cayuga juice. That is way to much, how do I get rid of that?

I believe it will dissipate with time and exposure. Did you attempt a taste test? Are you burning your nose by a quick smell?
Yes i did taste it and still sweet with no sulfur smell.

I had H2S in a batch last fall and hit it with about that much K-meta. You'd not know it at this point. The wine should be fine, as the SO2 binds to contaminants and gets used up. I'd skip adding more K-meta at the first racking.
The problem is the yeast did not take, I splashed and siphoned it into a sanitized container twice and add new yeast each time, still no action.

I would do a stuck fermentation procedure.
heat some water up to 110F, dissolve some sugar and Ferm-aid (if you have it) in, let it cool to 100F, add the yeast, wait for bubbles, add a pint of the high meta must to the active ferment, repeat to build up the volume then add to the original must.
The current “Scott labs handbook “ on the web should have a write up on the procedure.

Instead of the Scott Lab method, try the Finer Wine kits method, which is a refinement.

In a wine bottle, add 1 packet of yeast and Ferm-Aid or other nutrient. Add 1 cup distilled or purified water, and swirl to mix. Cover loosely and let set 18-24 hours in a warm place. Pour gently down the side of the fermenter so the starter spreads as little as possible.

The theory behind this method is that yeast is given time to multiply in a more ideal environment for reproduction, and multiplies better in a larger group.

Ok we are back on track with the Cayuga juice. After 1 week of trial and error finally got it to start bubbling, last i tried was Red Star Premier Cuvee after another degassing and siphoning into another clean container. Thanks for all the comments.

Back