Oops...

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jose' Miller

Reaction score
Hello, I am new to the site and to wine making. Just had a question for you all. I forgot to add my pectic enzyme at fermentation setup. It has been almost 4 days since I started the batch of Vinters Best cranberry. Am I okay to still add it or is it to late? Thanks everyone

Hello, I am new to the site and to wine making. Just had a question for you all. I forgot to add my pectic enzyme at fermentation setup. It has been almost 4 days since I started the batch of Vinters Best cranberry. Am I okay to still add it or is it to late? Thanks everyone

First post, welcome to the forum!!

Not sure how much you will need that with cranberry but better late than never. You just might need to use a fining agent to complete the clearing process. BUT never forget that time spent aging the wine does wonders for clearing most wine varieties.

What was your starting Specific Gravity? and what is the current Specific Gravity? This will give you an idea of how much alcohol you have in your must., but go ahead and add the pectic enzyme that was called for in the recipe. Is this a kit wine?

What was your starting Specific Gravity? and what is the current Specific Gravity? This will give you an idea of how much alcohol you have in your must., but go ahead and add the pectic enzyme that was called for in the recipe. Is this a kit wine?

Hello, My starting SG was 1.092 and it is 1.054 now. It was a combination of the Vinters Best wine base and Vinters Harvest puree. I also added sugar syrup at the beginning to get the SG up.

You are ok to add it, you may need more as it is not as effective if alcohol is present.

Agreed. For those kits, you probably really don't even need the pectic enzyme. If you are working with fresh fruit or really cloudy juice then it is a good idea. Worst case you can get a bit of a pectin haze in the finished wine but I don't think you will. If you ever do have a cloudy wine near bottling time, you can take a bit of wine and add it to a bit of isopropyl alcohol. If it gets stringy, then it is a pectin haze. If not, then other fining agents or just time should help clear it up. For the fresh fruits, the enzyme helps break down the cell walls and extract every little bit of juice out and is pretty helpful. There are other enzymes available as well, like lallzyme from scott labs for grapes specifically.

Back