Mosti Mondiale Ooops

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

A62Rambler

Reaction score
I had tow carboys full of Barolo and Petite Sryah. They were both down to .994 and needed to be racked to a clean carboy. Then I could stabilize and degass them. I racked the Petite Syrah to a clean carboy and went to make the K-meta and K-Sorbate. When I returned I uncorked the carboy and added the sorbate and stirred. Then I realized I just uncorked the Barolo.
smiley9.gif
So I have stabilized the Barolo on the lees and worse stirred up the lees something fierce. I guess they will settle back out. How long should I allow them to settle before racking again and degassing?
smiley5.gif

I would give it a week to 10 days to settle again and then rack for degassing. Not to worry as the wine will be fine!
smiley4.gif

Thanks Masta! I have been trying very had to not make mistakes after my first disaster and this one was just dumb. I figured the wine would survive but my pride took a hit!
smiley9.gif

P.S. That drill stirer sure does a good job of mixing. Drill good. Spoon bad.
smiley2.gif
Edited by: A62Rambler

Rambler, this is why I have tags labeling which wine is what plus it helps as I write down every step on these tags that hang right off the carboy. I bought a whole box of them at Staples for under $4.00.

Rambler:

I think most of us have mixed up a batch or two at some time. I know that I once re-stabilized a batch after getting back from a 2 week trip.....

For labeling - I still recommend the blue tape used for painting and a permanent marker. It works great and can be transfered 3-5 times as the process proceeds - no sticky mess afterwards either. You can write as much information as you want on it. Just make sure you use a permanent marker - once it went missing and I grabbed a kids marker and my label just disappeared!
smiley5.gif
Edited by: maize

I agree with Maize. I have been using blue painters tape for years and it works great. I write the relevant info on the blue tape with a Sharpie and then transfer the tape from carboy to carboy as I rack until I bottle a year later. The blue tape leaves absolutely no adhesive on the carboy. For really detailed information, I have a spiral bound notebook, which is my winemaking journal. I keep a detailed record for each wine. Edited by: dfwwino

20070921_152908_The_Full_Monty.jpg

These are the tags that I was talking about about and you can write plenty of info on them and move them around as they just hang by the string they came with. When your done you can save them to use as a reference.

We use large ziplock bags. We cut a hole in it and slip it over the neck. That way, we keep everything together. I will post a picture, later.

Thanks for all the great ideas. I hate to admit but I had the names of the wine written on duct tape on the carboy.
smiley9.gif
I guess I need a tag around my neck that says read first.
smiley2.gif

Wade, I noticed "strips" on the front of your carboys with the labels on them. What are those strips?
By the way, nice set-up of all your wines!!
uavwmn

They are self adhesive temp strips. Thanks as I spent a lot of time setting this up over the summer.
<table ="Catalog" id="products" align="center" border="1" bordercolor="#000000" cellpadding="2" cellspacing="0" width="100%"><t><tr><td ="table" align="default" width="2%"><div align="center">5426 </td>
<td width="5%"><div align="center">
%5Cimages%5C2599_sm.jpg
</td>
<td width="20%">

Dual Scale Liquid Thermometer

Adhesive
backing for attaching to outside of plastic or glass containers for
accurate inside reading. Horizontal readings in 2° increments. 8" x 1".</td>
<td width="2%"><div align="right">$2.49</td>
<td width="2%"><div align="right">$2.49 </td>
<td width="5%"><div align="center">Stocked </td>
<td width="15%">

Add to Shopping Cart

Add to Wish List </td></tr></t></table>

I stick those other places too...in the root cellar, on the aquarium, etc.....they are great little do-dads.

Back