One gallon

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tucson

Reaction score
I want to make an intense jalapeño marinate wine, just one gallon for now. My question is I have a large ferminate bucket but for only one gallon? I will be using it for marinates and maybe a sip or two!! And will bottle in small bottles.

As Rocky says, or go to your local bakery and see if they have a 2 gal. or so bucket that frosting came in. Your main primary will probably get enough of the jalapino juice in it that you will get the taste in your future wines.

20 jalopeno peppers sound like enough for a gallon along with a box of raisins for body?

20 jalopeno peppers sound like enough for a gallon along with a box of raisins for body?

I would think it would be plenty. I made a batch, fermented with a gal. of apple juice and added 5 jalapeno's. It is terribly hot to me and most of the flatlanders around here. Now, you folks with the tastebuds for fire, it is probably only drinkable. :h Good luck with it. Somebody on here said to use the apple juice, really doesn't carry much apple flavor with it, but helps the ferment with the nutrients from the apples. Arne.

If you want to save the bucket, you might try this. After transfering the contents, wash with soap and water. Then fill with water and a cup of Oxyclean Green. Stir to dissolve and let sit for a week or so.
I did this with a Soy Sauce bucket and it turned out OK for me.
Of course, if the bucket was free and you can get get more, don't bother

It is very hard even with the oxyclean to get all the pepper smell out of the primary. I also make mine with an apple base and the combination makes an excellent cooking wine and marinade.

I use Welch's White grape juice as my base and I ferment the wine without the peppers and once I transfer to the gallon carboy, I then add the peppers. Cleaning glass of a hot pepper wine is pretty simple but trying to clean a plastic fermenter that had hot peppers in it can be a little tricky.

ROFLMAO, ask Runningwolf!!!! :tz

I use Welch's White grape juice as my base and I ferment the wine without the peppers and once I transfer to the gallon carboy, I then add the peppers. Cleaning glass of a hot pepper wine is pretty simple but trying to clean a plastic fermenter that had hot peppers in it can be a little tricky.

I am curious. Do you chop the peppers before putting them in the secondary? If not, how do you get them out afterwards?

I am curious. Do you chop the peppers before putting them in the secondary? If not, how do you get them out afterwards?

I just cut them in half, lengthwise after I rack I will add some water to the carboy and swirl then pour, the pepers will come out with the water, if not they at lease come up to the neck and I can pull them out

Oh, and I have used raspberry to make a hot raspberry wine, this is very tasty.

Back