One Gallon Batch

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boatboy24

No longer a newbie, but still clueless.
Reaction score
Allrighty then! I'm about to embark on my second batch of beer. I recently purchased a recipe book from Brooklyn Brew Shop with 52 recipes all broken out by season. I'm going to make a gingerbread ale in a 1 gallon batch. Went by the LHBS the other night and snagged my ingredients and I'm ready to go. But I have a question on which fermentation vessel to use. My first batch was also one gallon and the instructions had me fermenting in a 1 gallon jug. Needless to say, I had some "blowout". I'd like to avoid that this time around and am wondering if there's any danger in fermenting in something larger - say a 5 gallon better boy. Any advice would be much appreciated. I hope to start cooking this one Friday or Saturday. Thanks!

You will be fine using a 5 gallon container. Let it ferment to completion and then give it another week or two on the yeast to clean up before transferring it to bottle. Make sure not to disturb it post fermentation because you want to preserve the CO2 blanket as you have a lot of surface area exposed in such a large container.

Latest posts

Back