Cellar Craft Old wine kits, what should I replace?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MissouriRhine

Junior
Reaction score
Life comes at you fast and our 2 yr old coupled with a newborn put me on hiatus just as I was getting heavy into winemaking.

Soooo...now I have 4 old wine kits 2 white (Cellarcraft Showcase) 2 red (Spagnols RQ) that are anywhere from 18months to 28 months old from mfg date.

Am I hosed? I took the yeast out immediately when I purchased them in 2013 and it's been in the fridge. I'm going to try these regardless, spent too much $$$ not to.

What things should I replace from the kits as far as kit "ingredients" that are very likely bad?

I greatly appreciate any and all advice!

Replace the Yeast and K-Meta.

If you are going to backsweeten, then the K-Sorbate.

If you are going to clarify (vs time in carboy), then the Chitosan/Isinglass. I think the bentonite is stable, but that is cheap to replace too.

Actually, replace the juice too. Give it to me, and I'll dispose of it properly for you.

all the additives should have an expiry date stamped on pkgs. I wouldn't use the yeast if expired even if kept in fridge.It's not worth the headache if your ferment stalls. Definitely the sorbate if you're going to sweeten or you could get a few bottle bombs.

Thanks for the suggestions. Looks like my EC-1118 yeast are expired, my RC-212 expire 6/2015.

My whites are a Chardonnay and Pinot Gris, so no sweetening.

Last edited:
all the additives should have an expiry date stamped on pkgs. I wouldn't use the yeast if expired even if kept in fridge.It's not worth the headache if your ferment stalls. Definitely the sorbate if you're going to sweeten or you could get a few bottle bombs.
I don't recall ever seeing an expiry date stamped on anything except the yeast.

Steve

Most of all RJS are stamped. They're hard to see, but they're there.
That's good news. I haven't made an RJS kit in quite a while. The local retailer didn't seem to like at-home wine makers (and the second closest didn't seem to like me). Fortunately, the local store has a new owner who likes to sell wine kits, if I ever get back into wine making.

Steve

Latest posts

Back