Old Vine Zin

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chevs15

Reaction score
I am looking to purchase Cellar Craft Sterling Lodi California Old Vines Zinfandel. Has anyone tried this? It's a special this month on Fine Vine Wines.

Thanks!

I am looking to purchase Cellar Craft Sterling Lodi California Old Vines Zinfandel. Has anyone tried this? It's a special this month on Fine Vine Wines.

Thanks!

I would go with the showcase, not the Sterling. You won't be sorry for spending the little extra bucks.

Call them and ask them when they'll have them in stock. I'm guessing by around mid-February. I'm waiting for the CC Red Mountain Cab kits to come in, and George told me they should be in around mid-February.

According to a recent newsletter, the Cellar Craft Showcase Old Vine Zin was in stock at Wine Warehouse in Calgary. The Red Mountain Cab, Aussie Shiraz, and Spanish Temperanillo were out-of-stock until Feb 2012. The Chilean Carmenere and Argentinan Malbec until July. So hopefully stock of the Zin will arrive soon at FVW.

Steve

Hi, I just started my first wine kit -- but really wanted to do an old vine zin too and saw this kit you were referring to. I'd like to know which you go with and how the process goes for you; so please keep us informed. (I only saw the cellar craft old vine zin - no others during my searches...but I am new...so....). Carolyn

Hi, I just started my first wine kit -- but really wanted to do an old vine zin too and saw this kit you were referring to. I'd like to know which you go with and how the process goes for you; so please keep us informed. (I only saw the cellar craft old vine zin - no others during my searches...but I am new...so....). Carolyn
Carolyn...

There's a couple of other Old Vine Zinfandels. RJ Spagnols has two...the Cellar Classic Winery Series one is quite well respected, I believe. Since you're new to wine making, you might want to skip the grape skin kits for a couple more batches, if so, try the Cru Select one.

Also Winexpert Selection Estate Lodi Old Vines Zinfandel.

If you do go grape skins, you probably should have a minimum 7.9 US gallon primary fermenter.

Steve

Thanks!

I have this kit just finishing up in secondary fermentation; my first kit also. So far, it has followed the expected track from the instructions. I picked this one because of the grape pack with it; hoping that gives it a bit of extra body. Probably start the clarification stage this weekend...so far, so good.

So my primary the works with a typical wine kit won't work for a kit that has grape skins or grape pack?

Chevs, I am not sure what you have for a fermenter, but I have two of the 7.9 gallon types and I use them for 6 gallon (23 liter) kits with grape skins/packs, no problem. I even have two Mosti Renaissance kits with the "mega" packs going right now and, although they are near the top, so far all is well.

I just wanted to add that I am just finishing secondary ferm in my first kit, a CC Showcase Zin. I don't think the grape pack was any issue, just follow the directions. I am going to do long term bulk aging in a carboy. So far no problems, it looks and smells wonderful. I highly recommend it to anyone. On to my next, second one, a WE Cab. I am a happy man!

Ok, changed my mind and went with the Cellar Craft Showcase Old Vine Zin! It's out of stock, but I should have it towards the end of the month. WOOHOO!

You wont be sorry, I have only a few days on mine and I can tell its gonna be a great kit!:gn

Thanks Brew and Supply. My Lodi Old vine Zin I ordered was shipped today! I didn't expect it to be shipped for a couple weeks!

My Cellar Craft Showcase Old Vine Zine arrived today! I started it this evening and it already looks wonderful! I can tell the grape pack is going to make a big difference.

Latest posts

Back