old recipe dandelion wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You are right Termini there is alot of help here and lord know I need it.

Just ordered more items so will keep you posted on the outcome.

Thanks again all

Scott

Received the hydrometers and checked the first batch in the carboy and it is .992 @ 69 degrees, thinking of racking and degassing on Tuesday when doing the second batch which is to be strained and racked also.
Will get some pictures of that.

Is the first batch after racking and degassing then let sit in carboy with airlock to clear will that also be bulk aging?

I basically consider bulk aging the point after the wine has been racked off the lees from clearing.

Racked the 1st batch off of the lees at .990 @ 70 deg, degassed and added P Sorbate, the 2nd batch strained and it was .995 @ 72 deg. Was going good until the siphon hose slipped out of the carboy and wine all over, normal messy stuff for me, topped of the missing amount with a Resling.

Even figured out how to download the pictures now will wait for the forum maint to be completed.

It's almost looking like wine
smiley17.gif

Sorry about the size haven't figured that out yet. right clicked but no resize option.

The one on the left is the first batch and the right one just was strained from primary.

Wait a few monthsthen rack again. Time will tell.

Those look good. You have to resize them before you post them. Did you download the resizing tool off this website? If so, dont open the file, just hold your cursor over the file and right click and you will see the menu that gives you the option of resizing.

Boy, do those look good! I have to figure out how to do the pictures because the last time I did it, they were so small....
I want to show the pics of my two carboys of Dandelion also!
Hey, I see that Scott also topped off with a Riesling as I did, but one of my carboys was much lower that I thought, and after 2 1/2 bottles, I figured I better not add any more for fear of tainting it
It must have been 4 gallons because after adding the riesling, it is just at the part of the carboy that starts to reduce--I bet another 1/2 gallon of space!.
For now, I think I will haul in my small welding ARGON tank and displace some o2.=---- and go looking for some marbles to clean up!Edited by: termini

I haven't yet downloaded the resizing tool, baby steps.

I only had to add 1/2 bottle of wine to top off so didn't spill too much.

The second batch filled the 5 gal carboy and 2 1/2 wine bottles, not bad for using 5 gal of water to start.

Now time to research about sweeting, if needed. And time to start something else!!

Just an update on the wine, didn't think much was happening so compared new pictures with the old ones and it is looking good. Too bad have to wait so long to drink. Still left one has been degassed and will rack again soon,and the right one is getting ready to rack and degass. I did resize the pictures to 145kb not sure why so large.
20080710_104529_DSCN0620.JPG

20080929_084318_DSCN0715.JPG

FYI just bottled the 1st batch of dandelion, second batch not cleared as of yet. Nice color and didn't taste too bad.

Was wondering why it was taking so long for batch 2 to clear, found out those tiny bubbles, the little bubbles. Degassed the dickens out of it this time. Oops and it's sideways, sorry.

20081116_161601_1.jpg
Edited by: wade

Thanks Wade, I humbly bow before your greatness.

Just tried a beer bottle size of batch 1, good but with a bite, hopefully will mellow in a few months. Not that I don't like a bite once in a while
smiley2.gif

That's what I thought too, degassed the same as all other wines. I guess no two batches are the same. By the look on my wife's face when tasting batch 1 we will be backsweeting batch 2.

Just an update on this recipe, tasted one from each batch and very good. A hint of citrus to awaken the palate.

As long as there are dandelions there will be wine!!

That wine sure looks good. It cleared up real nice. I hopeI get good looking results like that.

mjdtexan, this was my first attempt at wine and am pleased with the outcome, couldn't have done it without all the help from this forum!!

Did backsweeten the 2nd batch but the 1st batch mellowed out nicely.

With it tasting that good I'm not sure if 10 gallons will be enough
smiley4.gif

Back