okay wife is complaining now......fermentation smell

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For next time:

I think you said you are fermenting in a closet. You can install a bathroom-style powered vent in there and vent the smell out into the attic.

robie said:
For next time:

I think you said you are fermenting in a closet. You can install a bathroom-style powered vent in there and vent the smell out into the attic.

That is brilliant ol boy!

okay wife is complaining now......fermentation smell

Thats how I got my very own wine making room.;) Of corse my wife likes my wines.:D

I also gone thru this phase. it's hard to stop smiling when she complains about the magic taking place. I had to back off to one batch fermenting at a time in the basement.....but we still get the pleasant aroma from the fresh air intake when the central air kicks on! :). LOL

Fermentation, clearing and aging occurs in my tiny winery which is a half-bath in the foyer. It is about ten steps from the kitchen where all the washing/sanitation/bottling occurs. During that week of fragrant yeast a-wafting (sounds like something from the 12 Days of Christmas!) I keep the door closed and periodically run the exhaust fan. But mostly, we have come to associate yeasty/fruity odors with the good side: excellent and inexpensive wine!

My wife has come to provide a much needed third hand during production. So I bought her a custom grape cluster necklace and "promoted" her to production manager. No more complaints! Bribery seems to work for me.
NS

if i were to try my half bath every batch would turn out to be skeeter pee :), i have a 3 yr old whos afraid of nothing, and a 6 yr old for moral support for the 3 yr old.

as for adding a fan in this one would be hard as its the closet under the stairs, yes im the whine-o under the stairs hahah

Ours is in the closet under the stairs too. It's an old country farmhouse. The only stinky ones has been the watermelon.
Just did a half gallon of apple juice and 10 ounces of pure maple syrup with cinnamon powder. It started fermenting immediately and is full of bubbles.
I've fallen in love with this. I want to ferment everything. I would ferment the kitchen table if I could.

This thread is too funny. We hve all been there. Seems like some batches are just worse than others. I live n a 12x22 ft cabin with three cats, During the winter I have had a couple stinky ones and they looked at me funny. One batch they hid under the bunk for days until it finally went to the secondary!!

i hear ya on that! its sad that now everything i see im like hmmm wonder what that wine would taste like hahah

The black cherry, maple syrup n Lalvin 1122 has been like Mt. St. Helens for a couple of days now. It's more entertaining when it has a lot of pulp that's visible through glass. It's easier to see the eruptions.
Incidentally, I got my hands on a case of Widmer Brothers Pitch Black IPA in 22oz-ers for 12 bucks and I immediately thought "those would make great wine bottles"
Hoping I can find a cork that fits.
BTW, the beer is great!

Latest posts

Back