okay wife is complaining now......fermentation smell

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dend78

Reaction score
anyone have any good tricks to mask the smell? I have my buckets and such in a small closet, and i haven't had any issues until now, the pear wine i have going has a very strong smell, unlike the other things i have made. of course its day 2 and my wife is not happy, anyone have a good trick to mask the smell aside from maybe burning some tires in the kitchen :)

just as a bit more info on the wine without going to my other thread

Fresh Pears
Red Star Pasteur Champagne Dry Yeast

Last edited:
hahah, i wish that would work its actually overtaking the lower level of the house, like i came down stairs and i could smell it, open the closet door and its like walking into a cloud she has said something to me twice today about it hahah i figure i better at least attempt something

If you can't move the primary somewhere else, try place a fan in the room to help dissipate the CO2. Personally, I love that smell. It tells me something good is happening. Apparently, no one else in my house shares my opinion!

Ha ha. I have the same problem. My stuff is in the kitchen. So to keep my wife happy I keep her out of the kitchen. Which means I know cook all meals. Small price to pay to have my brew.

i will verify for sure since i have 3 buckets going it is a lot stronger of a smell, i sent her a text message earlier and i said "what does it smell like? rotten eggs?" and the reply back was "a-hole" :)

i dont think stirring or adding more nutrient will fix that one bahahahahaha

I put my primary in a room with a window. A fan pulling air from the room and blowing it out a window outside for 15 minutes every 4 hours cuts the smell to almost nothing. If you dont have a window an electic airfilter with activated carbon works ok, but can be expensive if you buy it specifically for your hobby.

To me and my fiancé the smells are well worth it if you can make some awesome inexpensive wine. It sounds like your wife does not have the same opinion, haha.

Tell her to have a glass of wine, if that doesn't work give her another and another until she can't smell it.

Seriously though, no suggestions. Mine is in the basement and I'm anticipating another day or two until the entire house gets the wonderful smell of fermenting grapes. Guess I'm lucky, we both enjoy the smell.

she wont drink my wine :( i have to drink it all by myself...dang it i really hate that :)

although i did get a challenge from her, she said if you could make it taste like grape juice i would drink it.....so looks like next batch is gonna be a welche's batch :D

Last edited:
pear wine does seem to go thru a vomit stage for a couple days. mine is currently there now, luckily it's in the basement. By the time it's done fermenting it will be gone. I've made 4 batches of pear wine and they all go thru that stage, maybe it's converting the malic acid that smells like that. My apple wine was pretty bad also.

I have the same problem. I had to cover the warm air return in my den to prevent the smell from being circulated through the central a/c to the whole house because my kids were complaining that they were getting a buzz from the smell and that surely there were laws protecting them from such torture. Of course, covering the return leaves it warmer in the room which is making things even more potent. I love the smell. When I'm not home I dream of the smell. I have the bug bad....

Too bad your wife doesn't share your hobby. I started making wine so I had something to do. Now my fiancee asks me every couple days if it is taste test time.

@cohenhouse77 very funny...lol...

Well I guess I'am not the only one who gets this complaint. I simply deny it. Just keep saying, "really I don't smell anything". Do this for the time limit it takes for the smell to dissipate. Tell her as I do, that the smell dose not last long and is an important part of wine making and if you thought it got to bad you would look into it. Some times I say, "Oh that's just me passing gas sorry!". You'll see that I use all the tricks listed below...lol.

Denial (also called abnegation) is a defense mechanism postulated by Sigmund Freud, in which a person is faced with a fact that is too uncomfortable to accept and rejects it instead, insisting that it is not true despite what may be overwhelming evidence.
[1] The subject may use:

simple denial: deny the reality of the unpleasant fact altogether
minimisation: admit the fact but deny its seriousness (a combination of denial and rationalization)
projection: admit both the fact and seriousness but deny responsibility by blaming somebody or something else.

Last edited:
Just tell her I can ferment in the basement, but it is too cold down there. If we raise the heat in the basement it will cost too much. This is only going to last for a couple of days, then the oder will get much better. Or you can try my normal reply. She says as she walks in the door "That stuff smells pretty strong doesn't it?" I say "Really smells good, doesn't it?" No problems. Or if I really did have a problem, would probably reply "Smells a lot better than the cat box." Arne.

my kids were complaining that they were getting a buzz from the smell and that surely there were laws protecting them from such torture.

ugh kids these days, seems like back in the day there would have been some form of ducting put over the vent into my room going to a gas mask which would be affixed to my face if there was even a possibility i would get something from it :d

Svehn said:
Too bad your wife doesn't share your hobby. I started making wine so I had something to do. Now my fiancee asks me every couple days if it is taste test time.

its probably best that she doesnt more for me :dg

:) btom2004

[quote = arne]Just tell her I can ferment in the basement, but it is too cold down there. If we raise the heat in the basement it will cost too much. This is only going to last for a couple of days, then the oder will get much better. Or you can try my normal reply. She says as she walks in the door "That stuff smells pretty strong doesn't it?" I say "Really smells good, doesn't it?" No problems. Or if I really did have a problem, would probably reply "Smells a lot better than the cat box."[/quote]

no basement, no cat to blame it on granted the dog did get blamed for a little bit :D

good news is I stirred it up last night and checked it all out still smells terrible but it isnt filling the house quite as much today, now the lil closet whoa! but the rest of the house is safe again, and in about 3 or 4 more days it will be making its way to carboy anyway. :try

MASK IT????

Heck no! I wish it came in aerosol cans!

LMAO :)

i dont care for the smell that im getting from the pear wine, the others have been just fine nothing bad at all actually the banana i could just sit and sniff all day. the pear though has a crazy off smell :f

Latest posts

Back