ok no one has answered me in Apfelwin

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tess

Reaction score
I just copied and pasted. No one has answered me in the Apfelwin thread. Probably because they have lives!! So I really need advise!!
It was stuck now its not!! Thought it was over cloved by its not!! Taste great!! Its finally finished fermenting After the last racking I just forgot about it for a while beside giving it the stink eye once a day when I went into my wine room. I did notice the air lock perked up a bit but I was just so over it.
Well this morning I racked my Brunello.
I thought well as long as I have everything sterilized anyway lets take a reading. I popped the air lock low and behold...its done!! It unstuck.
Should I just let it be and let it clear on its own. I think Iv tortured this batch enough. Its been hit with Sparkled twice. Look murky as all get out.
To beat it all, I have this strange feeling this is going to be the best batch Iv ever made and ever Bitched about

Listen to me. You'd think Iv been doing this forever THE SQAUTCH lives!!

Last edited:
Great question. I need to rack mine and degas. I have sparkeloid or Isinglass I could add. I'm hoping someone answers your thread with recommendations.

should I just leave it alone. Its been hit with sparkeloid twice. Should I degass and hit it with some super clear?

Last edited:
post a pic, sounds like a starch haze...still murky after twice hit with sparkaloid.....theres a problem.
it should have cleared somewhat....wouldnt hit with super kleer yet.

yeah well when I hit it with sparkaloid it was still not dry. (Blush) my hydrometer was broke. Yeah I'll blame it on that. It really was I was guessing it was done and it wasnt. Its done for sure now. I will go get a pic though

It was stuck
001-6.jpg

thats apple..where the red color come from.
if you see the 1/2 sediment, rack it.
when you see another 1/2 rack it.
it will clear....dont add anymore clearing agent.you may have to rack 2 are 3 times a week...lots of material in that wine.

jeesh, no wonder its cloudy...brown sugar doesnt disapate very well..
its a monster to clear....
I just made some apple pie moonshine, and some spiced peach moonshine.
both were hard to clear because of the brown sugar....

Sorry to chime in so late. I have been on vacation and not near the pooter.

Rack it off that sediment. Hit it with k-meta and sorbate and give it a shot of sparkaloid. Let it sit and it should clear.

RR

Sorry for not seeing the question earlier. Apple is irascible is not unpredictable. I have experienced the taste swings you've described, it's really an active wine. My apple is usually a bit hazy but not like yours, probably because I use store bought apple juice from concentrate. I agree with those above who suggest pectic enzyme, maybe 3T? This is one wine that I'm only willing to fight to a certain extent. I've decided to live in peace and harmony with Apfelwein, and not control it too much.

No apologies please you cant be here 24/7. Is it to late for PE. I will give it a try and rack the crap out of it like James says. It taste great lol.. so different from just a week ago. its wild!!! Thanks everyone, I appreciate at it.

Cant rack till tomorrow but Im on it RR

Last edited by a moderator:
at about 12%. When I thought it was ruined I was going top it off with ever clear and call it Sasquatch but not anymore. Might still call it Squatch but not messing with the flavor. Its good!! I was just wanting it to clear

I cant believe how big the flavor swing can be in this over such a short time. Im amazed by this stuff. Curious as all get out how this is all gonna come out in 6 months or so

Last edited by a moderator:
Tess. It's never too late for PE.

But I don't really know why you're worried about clearing already. You just stabilized it a few days ago. Of course it's not clear. No wine would be clear at this point.

I just added 2tsp (not Tablespoons) pectic enzyme while degassing simply to see if it clears. I haven't added any other fining agents. To be honest I prefer my Apfelwein a bit cloudy. My one and only time in Germany the apfelwein was dry, sour and cloudy

DSC_0200.jpg

I have not stabilize it yet. I stabilized it a couple weeks ago and shoudlnt have. It was stuck. My hydrometer was broke. I need to kmetta it but I dont think its a good idea to add sorbate again. Si I should add PE now and Kmetta?

Latest posts

Back