Off gasing, small bubbles

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sirden1959

Reaction score
Hi all,

last fall I made some wine, orange banana wine, as well as a black sweet cherry wine, locally known as Flathead Cherry's.

Wine taste good the Orange almost ready to bottle,,, the cherry needs more time. BUt as the tempter has risen in my so call celler,, from a cool 50 to around 62 F. I have noticed off gassing, Small bubbles flowing to the top, the wine smells good, and hmmm taste good to,,, Should I just keep them racked until it stops or take other action?

Second curiosity...
Well when I make my wine, and place the freshly fermented wine I will place the wine in, glass jugs 5 gallon, 3 gallon, 1 gallon jugs,,, what ever it fills, but instead of pouring the left over's out, I find wine bottle with those up with the remaining wine to rack them in those. As you keep reracking and aging when you finally have the wine clear and were it needs to be,,, can you just cork it, label it in the same wine bottle?

First part:
I am not a fruit wine guy, but maybe Tom, Julie, or one of the others will chime in.

The key here is the change in temperature.
Might just be releasing CO2 as the temperature rises. CO2 bubbles are the tiny bubbles, like you see when a coke fizzes.
Could always have started fermentation again, if it didn't finish before or if yeast are still alive and the wine has been back-sweetened.

Raise the temp up to room temperature for a week or so. Check the Sg every few days to see if it is dropping any at all. If not, try degassing the wine again by stirring it well without stirring in too much air. A vacuum pump works great for degassing and doesn't introduce any air into the wine.

Second:
If the bottle has set for a month or so after the last racking and if there is no sediment in the final bottle, you should be able to cork it. Just make sure your sulfite levels are where you need them to be.

As for the first: without being there I would say it is degassing. Cherry is bad about taking forever to degas... That is unless you have a fancy vacuum pump...

As to the second: I agree with above. If you have no sediment, and sulfites are good then cork it... If there's a doubt in your mind that there might be sediment, rerack it...

Did u backsweeten it? If so, did u add sorbate in?

Did the wine taste fizzy - like a soda? It could just be CO2 being released. But I would also use your hydrometer to check your SG just to ensure it is not fermenting again.

There could be a chance that MLF might be occurring as well. Banana's predominant acid is Malic acid.

Yeah, its hard to tell without more info. If you sorbated and did everything 'right', I would check sg for a couple of days and just ride it out.... You said it still tasted good, so it sounds like you're ok.

thanks all

I will check the SG, I did back sweeten it. The wine does not taste fuzzy, actually taste pretty good,,,smiles,,, I will keep tabs,,,

Thanks all, and as the saying goes "drink no wine before its time"

Denis

Latest posts

Back