Odor Change - H2S?

Wine Making Talk

Help Support Wine Making Talk:

Spikedlemon

Reaction score
My Baco Noir had a wonderful fruit aroma the first two days of fermentation that's turned on me recently. Not sulfuric but very much like sniffing isopropyl alcohol.
I added Fermaid and DAP and stirred heavily the past two days and it's much improved.

Should I get it off the skins and treat as though if I'm getting an H2S issue (sulfite and try to splash rack it) now or should I wait for fermentation to complete before doing something?

I had planned to rack on Saturday off the skins (and I wanted to reuse those skins for a Cab kit)

JohnT

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I sincerely doubt that you have H2S issues.

In my experience, you can get a waft of alcohol when fermentation is finishing up.

Do you know the starting brix and the brix at which you detected the problem?

Luse_Cellar

Reaction score
Generally speaking, if you have enough H2S in your wine to be perceptible, you will know it. It's a quite distinct, pungent smell. Sometimes if it's just under the perception threshold it will reduce the overall aromatics of the wine. Some fermentations seem to develop a sort of paint-thinner or mineral spirits type smell and I'm not sure what it is but it's probably going to go away on it's own, especially once you press off. I would maybe do a splash racking anyways just to help it along but I would say don't fret and just keep a close eye (well, nose) on it over the next few days.

Latest posts