Odor Change - H2S?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spikedlemon

Reaction score
My Baco Noir had a wonderful fruit aroma the first two days of fermentation that's turned on me recently. Not sulfuric but very much like sniffing isopropyl alcohol.
I added Fermaid and DAP and stirred heavily the past two days and it's much improved.

Should I get it off the skins and treat as though if I'm getting an H2S issue (sulfite and try to splash rack it) now or should I wait for fermentation to complete before doing something?

I had planned to rack on Saturday off the skins (and I wanted to reuse those skins for a Cab kit)

I sincerely doubt that you have H2S issues.

In my experience, you can get a waft of alcohol when fermentation is finishing up.

Do you know the starting brix and the brix at which you detected the problem?

Generally speaking, if you have enough H2S in your wine to be perceptible, you will know it. It's a quite distinct, pungent smell. Sometimes if it's just under the perception threshold it will reduce the overall aromatics of the wine. Some fermentations seem to develop a sort of paint-thinner or mineral spirits type smell and I'm not sure what it is but it's probably going to go away on it's own, especially once you press off. I would maybe do a splash racking anyways just to help it along but I would say don't fret and just keep a close eye (well, nose) on it over the next few days.

Latest posts

Back