ODD WEATHER

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NorthernWinos

Reaction score
Can't recall such odd weather in October...from unusually warm and humid on Saturday to cold rain...Thunder and lightening the last few nights....Got over an inch of rain last night and today....

Now....Just riding the storm out tonight...
storm-1.gif

And all the rain that came at us from the south east is now coming back at us from the north west! It's rained so much the roads are clean again! Who knows when they'll get back out there to start digging beets again.
smiley5.gif
Maybe I'd better stock up on sugar in case the crop doesn't come in.
smiley2.gif

We havent had any rain in I cant remember how long. My whole yard is crunchy cause for the 1st time since i bought this house I didnt water the lawn this summer thinking it looked so good this spring that it would do fine. Our whole front yard is literally straw and then just smothered with Hickory nuts and shells. Ive never let my yard get this bad and never will again cause its a lost cause now. I really hope it will recover from this disaster next year. We are supposed to get some good rain finally mid week and I really hope we do as we are on a a well which we never had a problem with yet and dont ever want to. This is all weve had for rain in the last month and a half
28_2_5v.gif

It rained all night...Jim got up during the night and said it had turned to snow for awhile...it's back to rain now and 34*....Burrr.....He even started a wood fire...now it's too hot in here and too windy to open the windows....Bitch...Bitch ...Bitch!!!

For once the weatherman was close, he said slight chance of the white stuff up in your neck of the woods. Pretty drastic temp changes from a few days ago, but I guess we just fell to normal.

Just pouring out there....It's just a cloud sitting over our head...why didn't this come in July and August????

Think I will stock up on sugar....those machines won't be running for a long time.

I wish we could trade some of that rain your having for some of our heat. (4 degrees today, hasn't rained in what seems months, and we are 14 inches low on our rainfall for the year so far, which is close to 50% less water.

There is a river that I go over every day going to my other office, the river bed is now in sever need of a mowing....... The river is almost gone! I'll have to take a picture of it, then take aother one when it returns to normal and compare.

We had a drought during this summer...It really makes you ache to see the rivers low and the ponds dry up...so out of your ability to do anything about it...just pray for rain....

Rain will come....our came too late for our crops, but we look on the bright side....the lawns are green again, good for the hayand pastures, good for the trees....NOT good for harvest and field work.

But...you get what God feels you need, not always what you want. Nothing can humble a person more than the weather.

The Mighty Minnesota that runs beside town was really low, amazing how fast it can rise when it rains north of us!

We had record highs Sat, Sun and Mon - mid 90's. Last night rain. Today a high of 81. By Thursday the high will be in the low 70's and the low in the 50's.

Fall has fell in the Mid-South.

If only it could be cool for one day here. It is still summer and hot and humid most days. We haven't hit that one day where the signs are in the air that fall is approaching where the air is cool, no humidity, breezy....and can actually open the windows and get a cross breeze. No AC.

Hopefully soon!!

It's beginning to cool down a little. Didn't get over 90 today.
I checked the history though. 1950, 1953 and 1954 hold almost all the high temp records for October in Houston, then 2004.
We are still around 10 degrees above average (supposedly 79 degrees daytime high)

Same here Waldo, 94 on Tuesday, 67 on Friday (projected) down to 39 on Friday night, Sat., Morn........

Then Back to the 80's................. I love the fall, hate to see things dormant for so long though, but thats mother nature at work.

PeterC, your point about the 50's being hot are interesting. Back in the 70's things started cooling off, leading to talk of global cooling. then in the 90's things started to warm up again, leading to the global warming scare (getting more publicity because people with little science and less sense can link it to man/industry). In about 2010 I expect to see us turn the corner into another 20 year span of cooling again.

This fluctuation is now called "climate change" instead of "global warming/cooling" because the stupid climate just won't cooperate with the eco-types!
smiley36.gif

Latest posts

Back