Odd Smell

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BillZ

Junior
Reaction score
I have a 2011 Cab that I am wanting to bottle. This is my 4th vintage and by far me best. While the flavor is good the nose is slightly off with a bit of a green smell. Anyone have an idea of what that might be and how I treat it?

Thanks

Can you describe the smell a little more?

How old is this - you might just need to give it time...

It is almost a vegetable smell, kind of sour. I started this wine in October of last year.

Thanks

Wines can have hundreds of different types of aromas. Usually they focus around the world of fruits, particularly when young, but they can have accents of many other things, mushrooms, tobacco, coffee, chocolate, spices, earth, vegetables, flowers, candy, etc.

It is less than a year old and being this is a Cab - I would say let it age some more...

if its a cababge smell it could be h2s , or it could be some kind of spoilage organism. since it tastes fine ( a vegetable taste would indicate cab sauv that was less than fully ripe) but smells funny these are most likely the issues.

I'd splash rack it and add some kmeta (take it up to 50ppm) .

if it still smells , there are other interventions, nobless reduless or copper , which are best done asap.

I wouldn't ignore it. if its one of the above issues giving it more time is the last thing you want to do.

try the racking and so2 and report back. if it is just a time thing neither one of these will hurt the wine , if its an issue they just might save it.

Last edited:
Been slammed with the day job, coaching two soccer teams and crushing the grapes from my backyard. I plan to rack on Wednesday and will keep you posted.

If it is a reductive h2s issue , the longer it waits the worse it gets and the less likely the wine can be saved.

It's why it's important to taste and smell your wine as it ages and be on the lookout for problems developing.

Hopefully it's not reductive.
But if it is hopefully it's not too far gone for reduless or ascorbic acid , copper and nobless treatment

http://www.bcawa.ca/winemaking/h2s.htm

Last edited:
Success!

I splash racked a couple of days after my last post. I checked the wine right after I racked and the smell was mostly gone. I just checked again it is now all gone.

Thank you for the information and advice everyone!

I am looking for some information on bulk aging now. I will open a different thread.

Thanks again

Bill

Latest posts

Back