Oaking

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikey1273

Reaction score
I am Making a Chianti. it is about done with primary fermenting tomorrow I play to rack it from the bucket to the carboy if the SG is good. My question is when is the best time to add the oak? I have 3 oz. of small Tuscan oak cubes to use on this 6 gallon batch.

It all depends on how long you plan to age the wine.

I usually suggest oaking after the second racking, but others may not agree.

My Mosti Mondale Kits usually come with 1.5 to 2 Oz of medium oak.
I usually add 1/2 during secondary
&
Half during the first stint of bulk ageing.

I have had no complaints about oak since I have started this.
(I am currently 3 months into aging a 2013 Chianti just this way)

:r

I'm with JohnT. I like to oak during aging. I would think three ounces of cubes, assuming they are 1/4 inch or so each, could stay in a cleared wine till you rack again. I usually rack every three months adding k-meta each time. I do that twice after clearing. If I use cubes I leave them in for one three month stint. You should also taste every few weeks and rack early if you get enough oak. It is true that the oak will diminish a bit so let it go just past perfect.

thanks for all the responses. so it seems there is no best way to do it. The Shiraz kit it did had me put the oak in the primary ferment. I was told at the winery were I got the juice to wait and not do that. If I put it in after I have the fermentation stopped but before its clear is that fine?

I am also guessing the oak should be rinsed in meta bisulfide solution first

thanks for all the responses. so it seems there is no best way to do it. The Shiraz kit it did had me put the oak in the primary ferment. I was told at the winery were I got the juice to wait and not do that. If I put it in after I have the fermentation stopped but before its clear is that fine?

So much really depends on your own tastes.

The problem I see in adding oak during fermentation is that you will need to rack that wine once fermentation is complete (into secondary). This could mean that the time spent on the oak could be as short as 7 or 8 days, or as long as 3 weeks (depending on the wine/yeast/temperature and a variety of other factors and also assuming that you are not using a barrel).

I like the freedom of waiting until after fermenation and racking are complete. At this point, you can age on oak for as long or as short as you deem fit. The important thing here is that you want to have a preferred method that you can replicate. By fermenting on the oak, you may not be able to have a set amount of exposure every time.

No, assuming the oak was sealed in plastic from the manufacture. Just dump it in. I usually add my oak to the empty carboy and rack my wine on top of it. Cubes will float for several days/weeks, then usually (but not always) sink to the bottom of the carboy. When you have enough oak taste just rack off of the oak to a clean carboy. When you learn how much oak you usually like you will be able to leave it in until you are ready to rack for bottling. All batches are different but you will get a pretty good idea of where to start with oak after several batches and good records.

Yes the oak is sealed in the package from mid west.
So just dump it in!

It will be done completely fermenting in a few days by the last time I checked it. Im not sure how much sulfate and sorbate to add in for six gallons. I know a 1/4 tsp to kill wild yeast but I need to preserve it and make sure it will not ferment any longer

Yes, dump it in. Keep a record of how many grams and how long you leave it in so you can adjust for next time. That way you can reduce the grams of oak and lengthen the time. eventually you will be able to leave the oak in until you are ready to rack. I will defer your chemical questions to JohnT.

Latest posts

Back