Oaking questions

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ldmack3

Reaction score

After a barrel has had several batches put through it theageing time is long enough to needtopping off. Question is how muchextra do I need on hand for topping if aged for several months?

How do you go from red to white in the same barrell?

Immediately after emptying for another prepared batchdoes the inside need to be rinsed with anything? (red to red)

I’ve seen some oil for the outside barrels that claim tokeep them from drying out while ageing. Does this help?

Thanks

After a barrel has had several batches put through it theageing time is long enough to needtopping off. Question is how muchextra do I need on hand for topping if aged for several months?

How do you go from red to white in the same barrell?

Immediately after emptying for another prepared batchdoes the inside need to be rinsed with anything? (red to red)

I’ve seen some oil for the outside barrels that claim tokeep them from drying out while ageing. Does this help?

Thanks

You can only go from a white wine to a red, never back again or you will have color leeched into your white. The books I have read range from 5%-10%volume evaporation in a years time. I'm keeping a whole separate carboy aside to top off with and to save the rest to blend down the road. What size is your barrel?

Saw your earlier post and answered my own question. Here's some info I compiled from ibglowin. This is for aging time in the barrel. Hope it helps

~20L (5 gallon)

2 weeks ------1st batch
4 weeks------2nd batch
8 weeks------3rd batch
16 weeks-----4th batch
32 weeks-----5th batch
**See the post below by ibglowin

~23L (6 gallon)

4 weeks ------1st batch
8 weeks------2nd batch
12 weeks-----3rd batch
16 weeks-----4th batch
20 weeks-----5th batch
24 weeks-----6th batch

Joe:
I saw this post on the ageing times which sparked my questions. I don't have a barrell yet but this year I am going to start. It will be either a 5 or 6 gal. I leaning towards a 5 since most kits and fresh juice buckets are 6 gal and I need some left over for topping off. So you keep any type of red for topping off barrels? And then size down in carboys as you use it up to keep the air away from it?
Thanks for the info

You need some extra for topping up. You can also use a similar store wine. I make wine from grapes so I can increase my yield by buying more grapes. You might have to buy a similar wine to top up with.

And yes, after you barrel age and get the desired amount of oak you rack back to a carboy. I would consider a 5 gallon barrel. If you make a 6 gallon kit, you can fill the 5 gallons barrel up and keep a 1 gallon carboy to the side for topping up. Once you start to deplete the 1 gallon carboy you can go into smaller containers, like 1.5 bottles with airlocks. Some people also use marbles to take up volume but I am not a fan. It takes a ton of marbles and you stand the risk of having leaded marbles.

As far as evaporation rates, the angels share depends on the barrel and temperature. Thicker staves will slow it up, so basically, the larger the barrel the slower the evaporation. Temp, obviously, the higher the faster it will evaporate.

Good point. I'm planning on buying the 5.3 gal Vadai Barrels. Lot of people here seem to use the Vadai.Once I've completed my wine room it will stay about 70-72 degrees. Have to use it for fermenting also so can;t take it down to 58.

What about the oil on the outside? The ads say it's for wine barrels and helps to keep them from drying out. Anybody use this?

Latest posts

Back