Oaking and Cold Stablization

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wild Duk

Reaction score
I have a E.P. Cab Sav that Has been in a carboy for about 13 months....I just added 3 oz. of oak, and would like to bottle in 6 weeks..So that I don't have to rack twice, can I cold stabilize it with the oak added....
I guess the quetion iswill the cold temps in the fridge affect the rate at which the oak flavors the wine....

Thx

Well the answer is yes and yes. Leaving the wine for 13 months, and THEN oaking it is the problem. Oak extraction is best performed either during secondary fermentation, or as soon as the wine is stabilized. In wineries, it is placed in oak as soon as it has stabilized and cleared, then tested at intervals until the desired amount of oak is present. Once that has been reached, it is withdrawn from the oak, and then either bottled or bulk aged in stainless steel tanks. This time is normally determined by the newness of the oak, the newer the shorter time needed.
You can cold stabilize with oak present, but the extraction will slow down with the cooler temps. Cold stabilization is best achieved earlier. I usually stabilize mine as soon as they have cleared, and before they are put over oak. The beauty of using carboys is that you can stabilize the wine, then put over oak, and when it tastes right, remove the oak and continue to bulk age. This is more of a hastle when using barrels.
You have a choice that you have to make, either stick to your timetable for bottling, and maybe not have the desired amount of oak, or delay the bottling until there is enough oak. Oaking doesn't follow a formula, it is strictly by taste. Soooooooo...bottom line is that the choice is yours. Who knows, you might actually get lucky and have the amount of oak you want at the six week point, ready for bottling.
Next time, though, add the oak early, remove at the right time, and then bulk age or bottle.
because you are just adding oak, also remember that the tanins in the oak will need to lay down, so considerable ageing will be needed of this wine due to the late addition of the oak. It will still need another year of either bulk or bottle ageing before the tanins start to lay down.
Good Luck!!

"In wineries, it is placed in oak as soon as it has stabilized and
cleared, then tested at intervals until the desired amount of oak is
present. Once that has been reached, it is withdrawn from the oak, and
then either bottled or bulk aged in stainless steel tanks. This time is
normally determined by the newness of the oak, the newer the shorter
time needed."

now fast forward to when you see on tv some winery guy taking a reporter down to his cellar to vive the photo op of him taking wine out of the barrel so they can cling their glasses, raise it up and make a toast for the camera.....well, remember the reporter usually tastes that wine ON a camera......so the wine better be RIGHT....right???

we should then assume one of two things when we see that shot......the wine has just gotten the right amount of oak and the winemaker knew to show it then...OR...the barrel in that camera shot is neutral and the wine was already ready having been oaked another way

You are sooooo right. And remember, it's the cellarmaster that always selects WHICH barrel they are going to draw from, and you can be assured that he/she has tasted it before they pull the bung. The barrels that are used are normally the ones that they are getting ready to bottle.
One of the wineries that I work with actually pulls another stunt....They have inside coated barrels that they use for the show in their tasting room. They fill one, and then draw from it for the tasting. What the taster doesn't know is that the wine in that barrell isn't necessarily the one that they are buying in the bottle from a previous vintage, and the cellarmaster will never tell them.
In a coimmercial winery, the risk must be kept to a minimum, so as soon as the wine is ready for bottling, it is bottled. Be assured that the barrel that is thiefed from is going to be bottled VERY soon.
Bill

Latest posts

Back