Oak Chips or Oak Powder

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jetpilot007

Reaction score
I made Chilean Syrah back in May. I just completed another racking (MLF Complete),

It's being stored in SS tanks. However I would like to incorporate an oak flavor to the wine. Two methods are oak chips in a Muslin bag and drop into the wine or measured amounts of Oak powder.

Your thoughts are greatly appreciated.

After MLF, I'd use oak spirals.
I use oak power or oak chips only in primary.

I will go with the larger size oak pieces rather than oak powder. What about sanitizing the oak chips? Do I need to soak in a solution of K-Meta?

You'll likely get a variety of responses to that question, some folks sanitize, some don't. Personally, if I'm opening a brand new package, I don't sanitize; if it's been open for a while, it will get a spray with sanitizer, a quick rinse, and into the wine it goes.

I've never sanitized oak power, chips or oak spiral and never had any issues.

So new to all of this and you all are great on helping. How long do you leave the chips, spirals or powder in for a light hint of oak. Also how much do you use in a 5 gallon carbon. I guess you can't get the oak powder out

In my case, oak power or chips as long as primary goes, so I remove chips once done.

Spirals I leave based on taste, usually (and again in my case) around 1 spiral for 5 or 6 weeks in a 5gal carboy. You'd need to go by your own taste to see where you like it.

Generally speaking, the larger the pieces of oak, the better. In other words, barrels>staves>cubes>chips>powder. I barrel age my reds, but will add oak flavor as needed (both barrels are 'neutral') using cubes in the carboy. I generally will only use chips and powder in primary. And that's not really for flavor as it is tannin and to help reduce vegetal/herbal notes.

I've used oak powder once, only wine yo give me headaches. Made the same wine without the powder, but cubes instead, no headache. Proof positive, no, but I won't use powder again.

Latest posts

Back