Oak Chips (cubes)

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cmlucifer

Reaction score
I would like to add oak cubes, my lab report says oak aging and some extra tannins can help give a better taste to my cabernet sauv. I'm confused as to what type of oak cubes, French, American or other, heavy, medium or light toasted. This is my first time so I'm not sure which is best for my situation.

it all depends on what you like. I prefer a heavy, earthy feel so will enjoy the oak heavy from America. Sometimes you can do medium American oak, rack and then do heavy oak. it all depends on what you like, experiment to find your ideal wine.

Personal preference. I use medium toast, American chips. Some use spirals, cubes etc. It's all in what you like. I would recommend for Cab. Sauv. med. toast American.

I add at least 1 cup to an 5 gallon carboy and age a year. This season I will add additional to my merlots and Cab. sauv's.

Just My Opinion

The more oak you use the better tannins hence better shelf life but its all about taste! For Cabs I too use either medium or heavy American but want to try a blend of oak like a friend is just starting to do after a mutual friend of ours bought a hybrid barrel with American toasted staves and French heads. Also, a winery here in Ct uses both kinds also but transfers from barrel to barrel.

Is there some procedure before adding them to my carboys. I remember reading somewhere that they have to be washed or boiled to sanitize them.

Latest posts

Back