Oak Barrel

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flafemina

Reaction score
I have been making wine from juice (Cabernet Sauvignon- Pinot Noir mix). It's been aging for 10 months now and I just bottled it 30 days ago. I have 25 bottles and just got a 2 gallon (9 bottle) oak barrel from a friend. It's a little leaky but should I empty 9 bottles of my wine and let it sit in the oak barrel to finish out the aging process? How do I put the bottles in the oak with out exposing it to air?

It was leaking cause it was dried out. I filled it with water and k-meta over night and the leaks have stopped now that its swelling.

siphon from bottles to barrel. with tube below liquid level in both ends should reduce exposure to air. best to sulfite once in barrel anyways. Did barrel have wine in it before? any musty smells? if not wine and off smells occur do not add wine to barrel.

Barrel had wine in it years ago but has been empty since. I don't smell anything musty. It has been sitting filled with water and k-meta for the past 2 days. If I don't have a siphon would it be a problem to use a funnel?

Back