Numbers Of Wineries?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chevyguy65

Reaction score
Just wondering How many Wineries does everyone have where they live?

In Wisconsin we have 33 actual wineries!! 34 if you count the "Wine garden "at the State Fair.We were very surprised.

We requested a Winery guide from www.wiwine.com and will start touring the state this summer (vacation time permitting
smiley2.gif
) What a great way to add to the enjoyment of this hobby! BTW we live very close to Mason Creek Winery in Pewaukee.

I am truly lucky to be able to enjoy this great hobby with my best friend, Mrs . Chevy
smiley9.gif

Please reply with a count from your state it would be interesting to see.

Im sure there is a website to request info where you live.

In the Works:

MM Lambrusco in secondary

MM Fantazia Tagerine in Primary

WE Selection White Zin on deck

Edited by: chevyguy65

There are over 65 wineries and 115 grape growers/farmers in BC so far. At least that is the amount that has registered with the BC Wine Society. There may be more than that. In the Greater Vancouver District, I think there are about 12-14 wineries that are within 1 1.5 hours drive from here.Edited by: Dean

Here's what I found on North Carolina:

From tobacco to vines
The state's modern industry is modest, but certainly growing with a bang. With 52 wineries, it ranked 10th in the nation for wine production last year, up from 25 wineries in 2002. Its first federal appellation, the Yadkin Valley AVA, was approved in February 2003, the seeds of an effort to establish itself as a serious winemaking region.

That blurb was written in 9/06. I thought I read something that the number for 2007 is upwards of 87, but it may be name vineyards I'm thinking of, the article says wineries.Edited by: jobe05

According tho this report NY where I'm from has 212 Wineries. Here's a little more info

<LI>Wineries and vineyards offer unique opportunities for economic development in NY, from Long Island’s North Shore, to the Hudson Valley, to the Finger Lakes, to Lake Erie and the Niagara Escarpment. The wine industry in NY has grown from nine wineries in 1976 to 212 in 2006. New York wineries have experienced 10%-15% growth in each of the past 10 years.
<LI>The retail value of all wine produced in New York is estimated to be $1.1 billion. More and more of the grape production is shifting from lower-value juice grapes to high-value wine grapes ( Concord grapes sell for $145 to $450 per ton, Riesling for $1,400 to $1,700 per ton).
<LI>The number of wineries has grown, as has the number of employees employed in each winery. Current estimates are that 36,000 people are employed directly in the grape, grape juice, wine products and related industries.
<LI>The wine industry has an enormous impact on the rural and state economy. With the growth in tourism (about 4.1 million visitors) and growth in associated service industries, the economic impact on the state is $6 Billion.
<LI>With improved knowledge of grape cultivation and wine production, the industry will be able to expand wine grape plantings and produce more wines of distinct quality that can compete nationally and internationally.
<LI>Grape growers and wine producers benefit directly from Cornell programs, and consumers and the service industry benefit indirectly.
<LI>The wine and grape industry also maintains a very attractive cultural landscape with vineyards, open spaces, and forests (as part of the wine estates) that enhance the natural beauty of NY’s wine growing regions.
<LI>New York is America’s #3 grape and wine producer</LI>

At last count, Texas has over 120 wineries with 40 of them getting licenced in the last 12 months. Texas is fifth in wineries. The most recent tabulation reflected the top 5 wine producing states to be:

1. California (duh!!!)
2. Oregon
3. New York
4. Washington (the state, not D.C. which produces no products whatsoever!)
5. Texas

The WBM count includes 1,587 virtual wineries, 171 fewer than in 2005. Virtual wineries are wineries that do not hold their own bond. A virtual winery has a physical location (which may be at another winery), produces at least one brand and has its own management and winemaker (although the winemaker can be a consultant or work for multiple wineries).

I think 4 in Montana. Oil may know of more??? Chevy, I visited Vernon Winery in Westby last year. I was very impressed....

Vernon winery is about 4 hours from us, close to the Mississippi river. beautiful area.Went to Door county a couple times last year.Spectacular in the fall!!!! We will head to thewest endthis year any other suggestions?

That puts you close the the bulk of them in MN. If you go as far as the Mississippi.Falconer Vinyards and Nursery in Red Wing is one I plan on seeing this summer.

So far I have this :
NY-212

BC Canada-140
TX-120
Va-100+
NC-52
WI-33
MN-22
CT-16 to 18
RI-9
AR-6
MT-4

That over716 wineries in 11 states and Provinces/Territories.

Im sure there is at least1 Forum member from each state,province/territory

Edited by: chevyguy65

I know of about 30or so in Iowa. There are 5 quite close to me-two of which have recently started showing up on supermarket shelves in the area. There are several in the Amana Colonies which is about 70 miles away.

A close friend is growing grapes that he will end up selling to a winery in Indianola, IA in a year or so. I help plant nearly all the grapes (close to a thousand plants if I remember correctly). I bet I get to help harvest!

The one thing I don't like about most Iowa wine is that it tend to be very sweet. I used to like sweet wine until I developed a taste for dryer wines like a Merlot.

I think Missouri has 60+ wineries but I can't vouch for the quality or type of wine. I just remember seeing signs for a lot of them as I traveled.

Wouldn't it be interesting to know how many home wine makers in each State,Province/Territory, and see how those numbers correlate to each other.

Back