not to flavorful

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jdmyers

wine maker in progress
Reaction score
Just tasted my peach mango(frozen concentrate). 2nd racking of clearing stage. I know i will need to back sweeten before i bottle but it didnt seem to have much of a peach mango taste. will the flavor come out after ageing in the bottle or should i back sweeten with some peach/mango juice I dont want the flavor to be week or over powering.

Once sure that it is stabilized with sorbate and k meta, I'd use the juice. You might even prefer not to use any sugar at all, just the juice and the sugars it naturally contains.

I've also raised the flavor level by adding small amounts of acid blend or citric acid (if you have citric acid). The blend will work, and many beginners have it onhand. Go little by little with the acid, don't overdo it.

I find it easiest to draw off a gallon from a batch and play with that until it is right, then take 4 times what I put in that and use it on the remainder and then mix everything together again in a clean carboy. It is not bad practice to allow at least another 24 hours for everything to settle down before bottling -- 2 to 3 days is even better.

Hope this helps. I am sure others will also offer suggestions.

When I make fruit wines, and it seems they are lacking flavor, I will do one more test. I pull a sample and add a little sugar before tasting. Some flavors seem to hide really well when fermented dry, but the addition of a little sugar brings the flavor right out. If after sweetening your sample to different levels and the flavor still doesn't appear, then I'd look at adding more flavoring.

When I make fruit wines, and it seems they are lacking flavor, I will do one more test. I pull a sample and add a little sugar before tasting. Some flavors seem to hide really well when fermented dry, but the addition of a little sugar brings the flavor right out. If after sweetening your sample to different levels and the flavor still doesn't appear, then I'd look at adding more flavoring.

My Bannana Wine was like that it got so dry you had to look for the banana taste but like you describe it just took a bit of sugar to make it "pop".

Yes sugar does work well. I have a goal in my winemaking of not introducing sugars after the ferment other than those that come along with any added juice.

I know someone backsweetening with Splenda, but have not tried that one ... yet.

Splenda sounds despicable, I have looked for a inexpensive source of frucose but the best I have found is agave nector. I have used Honey to backsweeten the plum wine but it takes a week or so to clear again .

Latest posts

Back