Not quite a beginner. . . BUT.

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kleftiwallah

Reaction score
Still making the occasional basic silly mistake.

Just made a foxes paw (French y'know). I'm making Damson wine from fresh fruit and I've added cold water to the crushed fruit also the Pectin destroying enzime and the cambden tablets, the recipe asked for boiling water to be poured over the fruit. OOPS !

Do I,
(a) drain off as much liquer as possible bring to the boil and return to the crushed fruit tight away understanding this may kill off the P.D.Enzime and I might have to add more.

(b) leave for 24 hours for the P.D. Enzime to do its work then draw off the liquer and after boiling return to the fruit, leave for a futher 24 hours then add the cooled sugar water.

(c) just carry on and add boiled water with the required amount of sugar and hope for the best?
Cheers, Tony.

I would just leave it as is. I have never added boiling water to my fruits to extract juice and my wine has turned out just fine.

I just freeze my fruits, thaw them out, and add pectic in. Let sit for 12-24 hours and add my yeast and yeast nutrients.

Now that is what I thought.

Looking back on the various fruit wines I've made in the past I cannot recall having to add boiling water at this early stage. Thanks for the encouraging comment. Cheers, Tony.

Latest posts

Back