Cellar Craft No racking before fining?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ejiang

Reaction score
So I am reading the show case instructions over and over :), because I couldn't find to rack before fining.

Here is the instruction. Am I correct?

image-3902540435.jpg

Kind of surprising but you are right, no mention of racking.
Apparently, since the wine is in secondary, the larger lees have already been racked off. What you are left with here are the finer lees, which is mostly dead yeast.

Some believe the clarifiers work better the more "stuff" is in the wine when they are added. These dual packet clarifiers work based on negatively and positively charged particles attracting each other and falling to the bottom.

In this case the wine will set on the fine lees until day 42.

I would follow the instructions.

I dont do kits but I dont rack before fining. why waste wine. You loss wine every time you rack

I'd rack as they suggest if you find degassing to be difficult with only 1-2" of space available.
Tony P.

Yep, or take a bottle's worth out, degas, then put it back in again. Several ways to accomplish it.

I rack back to primary for degassing with drill, add fining agents then back to carboy. Sometimes clean rack sometimes dirty rack based on directions. WE does this meathod also.

Interesting. I've always racked, assuming that it was implied. I think it helps release some CO2 as well. I rack most of the wine into the carboy, and fill a bottle or two as robie suggested to leave some headroom. Once I'm done degassing, I top off with the wine from the bottle(s).

Latest posts

Back