No joke, true story

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rodnboro

Reaction score
Last week, I took the family on a Disney Cruise. Since we've been before, my wife and I decided to skip the launch party and have a toast of my special Blackberry Reserve on our veranda at the sound of the launch whistle. About 30 minutes before time, I got the wine and THEN remembered that we forgot a cork screw. I usually keep a Leatherman in my travel bag but left it at home as knives aren't allow on board. So I tried the YouTube bottle banging method without success. I rushed to find our room steward and asked for a corkscrew. "Yes, corkscrew, yes" he stated. He came back to our cabin 10 minutes later and said we need to call room service. "You have corkscrew quickly" he said. I called room service and got "all of our stewards are helping other passengers at this time....." message. I then rushed down 7 flights of stairs to the on-board stores to try to find a Mickey Mouse corkscrew and remembered when I arrived that the stores aren't open at ports. I then rushed back up (elevators were busy) the 7 flights of stairs to our cabin and called room service again. "All of our stewards are helping other passengers at this time....". With about 5 minutes to launch, I began looking for something to dig the cork out. I used nail clippers until they broke and then started using my car keys. With about a minute to go and half of the cork out, I got my toothbrush and pushed the remaining cork into the bottle. I'm happy to say we toasted the launch with cork giblet infused wine with success!

Cruise was fantastic. It's hard to get back to normal life and normal food!

Great story.

In a pinch one could always push the cork down the neck into the bottle. I know it's not proper and for those of us who reuse bottles it's a pain to get them out. But in a pinch that can be an option.

Its actually pretty easy to get corks out. Put a plastic bag in the bottle, blow it up, then pull. I've used this trick many times, even have pushed corks in just to show this trick to ppl who didn't believe it, lol.

Great story.

In a pinch one could always push the cork down the neck into the bottle. I know it's not proper and for those of us who reuse bottles it's a pain to get them out. But in a pinch that can be an option.

Did that recently with a screwdriver while sitting in my car and got a major wine geyser in the face and a purple stain on my car ceiling. It was well worth it at the time though!

Did that recently with a screwdriver while sitting in my car and got a major wine geyser in the face and a purple stain on my car ceiling. It was well worth it at the time though!

Gosh I havent gotten wine stains in a car in what 40 years.:cw

you weree lucky.

When I went on a cruise, about 15 years ago, they xrayed my bag and then charged me $12 for each bottle of MY OWN WINE.

It might be that (if a steward came to your room) they might have charged you a "corkage fee".

JohnT said:
you weree lucky.

When I went on a cruise, about 15 years ago, they xrayed my bag and then charged me $12 for each bottle of MY OWN WINE.

It might be that (if a steward came to your room) they might have charged you a "corkage fee".

They might have. I know they charge a corkage fee if you bring your own to dinner.

Back