No Fermentation After a Week

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wolfman

Reaction score
A week ago today I started a Better Beer 'Witbier' kit. At the time, The wort ended up measuring slightly below two gallons and the SG was 1.035. The instructions said that it should be between 1.044 - 1.050. I did not see any bubbling all week, and today I opened the lid to see that nothing happened. I stirred the wort again and plan to buy more yeast tomorrow. Any suggestions what could have happened\what else could be done?

Thanks

Ive never heard of that brand but I would check the date on the package as it should have 1 somewhere. A week is a long time to wait for fermentation. Probably should have tried a new yeast a few days ago but lets see what happens this time. Where dd you get this kit, the yeast has probably expired.

Edited by: wade

I too have never heard of that brand of kits and a Google search didn't turn anything up. It sounds like it was/is the yeast. Even at that gravity it will ferment if the yeast are viable be it a very low alcohol in the end.

This is the main reason to make a yeast starter. You know if your yeast is good or not before you make your wort. I would definitely talk to whoever you bought the kit from and see what they want you to do with it.

Those are the only kits my local store sells. I have made 3 of them successfully so far, and this was to be my last one before I started trying to put the ingredients together myself. I recently started reading about doing yeast starters, but the instructions provided have never mentioned anything about doing them. The kit is designed to be like a Blue Moon. Thanks

There are many things that could of affected the fermentation. Was this an all extract kit or extract and steeping grains? Did you do a boil on it? What was the temp of thewort at the pitch? What was them ambient temp where the wort sat for the week?What type of yeast did you pitch? Liquid or dry? If you boiled, when did you check theOG Before or after the end of the boil? Every Witbier I have done has had an OG of 1.042-1.046 which is in the style range. Also, what do you sanitize with? After a week was your OG still at 1.035 meaning no fermentation at all or had it dropped any at all? Edited by: smurfe

Latest posts

Back