no bubbling?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hamy

Reaction score
Hi, I'm on my third kit (Kenridge Classic Vieux Chateau du Roi) and after 6 days it's still not bubbling up through the fermentation lock? It smells vaguely like it is / had been fermenting and it had some visible action a few days ago looking at the top of the juice but nothing now. I have carried out the process as per the instructions that came with it and the first Kenridge kit I had done, even drinking it far to early, was lovely. it has a heater set at 22 c and was 1082 at the time of adding the yeast (pre mixed with a little water for 15 mins as per instructions)

Secondary fermentation, according to the instructions should be on Thursday but I'm worried it has not fermented??

How do I tell ?

Any advice would be very appreciated,

thanks

Take a hydrometer reading. Never depend on bubbling to define whether you have fermentation going. You should have taken a reading at the beginning before fermentation and taking one now will tell you how far along you are.

Nice choice for a second kit. I haven't made this one, but feedback from customers when I ran a store was very positive, especially if aged 6 months or more.

To paraphrase Julie, your hydrometer is your friend. If in doubt, take a reading.

From your description, it has been fermenting, At that temperature, itcould be finished. Depending on the seal on your primary, there may be no bubbles in your air lock.

BTW, the instructions on the yeast packet say to mix the yeast with a little warm water, but the kit instructions say to sprinkle the dry yeast on top of the must. I recommend following the kit instructions. I made literally 1000s of Vineco kits over the 6 years that I ran an FoP, never any problems with the yeast starting when sprinkled on the must.

Steve

Thanks again for the help and advice.

got the lid locked down tight (it may have not been air tight due to my home made aquarium heater hole:slp

cpfan...
the instructions on the yeast packet say to mix the yeast with a little warm water, but the kit instructions say to sprinkle the dry yeast on top of the must. I recommend following the kit instructions.

this did confuse me, on the first VERY successful (well I liked it at only weeks old) kenridge Shiraz I sprinkled on the yeast and got nothing until on day three a quick stir gave me loads of bubbles/fermentation. This time I thought I would try, as you rightly say, the yeast pack instructions which are different. Am I being paranoid? Will the yeast just do it's job anyway?

I will be 2nd fermenting tomorrow (racking I think I should be calling it now?)

(Julie) and will take a hydrometer reading then..the kit leaflet says it needs to be under 1.010 and mine when I started was 1.082.

This is my third 5 gallon batch now and must say ..It's great!! if only I had more patients as I know I am drinking these far too early:h

Thanks again for the help.

BTW, the instructions on the yeast packet say to mix the yeast with a little warm water, but the kit instructions say to sprinkle the dry yeast on top of the must. I recommend following the kit instructions. I made literally 1000s of Vineco kits over the 6 years that I ran an FoP, never any problems with the yeast starting when sprinkled on the must.

this did confuse me, on the first VERY successful (well I liked it at only weeks old) kenridge Shiraz I sprinkled on the yeast and got nothing until on day three a quick stir gave me loads of bubbles/fermentation. This time I thought I would try, as you rightly say, the yeast pack instructions which are different. Am I being paranoid? Will the yeast just do it's job anyway?

Hamy...

1) Re-read my comment that I bolded above.

2) Visible signs of fermentation are unreliable. In other words, the Shiraz was probably fermenting quietly before you stirred. Did the stirring IMMEDIATELY produce bubbles? If so, then remove the word probably, it WAS fermenting. When in doubt, take a hydrometer reading. (Didn't I already say that in this thread?)

3) Yes, the yeast usually does it's job regardless. Unless you kill the yeast with water that is too hot, or otherwise mess it up creating a starter.

Steve

Latest posts

Back