"No Airlocks On Hand"

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Maui Joe

Reaction score
I am sure that this has happened to some of us when after racking you realize that you lack an airlock for the bung. (This is something that I remember reading somewhere and glad I did!)

You'll need a comfortable length of vinyl tubing, placed in the bung. (If you have a solid bungwithout a hole, then drill an undersized hole, wet the bung, then fit the tubing through, snug fit is better.)

Stick the other end of the vinyl hose into a bottle of water and watch the bubbles work. 1-bottle can be shared by a few surrounding jugs while you sit back and wait for your order to come!

Very good advice and idea, Joe. Thanks.

smiley32.gif

When racking my gallon batch of blackberry from the primary to my gallon jug the other day, discovered that I had about 1/4 gallon left over. Put this in another gallon jug to keep fermenting, but realized I didn't have another airlock.
<DIV SuperAdBlocker_DIV_Elements="0" SuperAdBlocker_OnMove_Hooked="0" SuperAdBlocker__Hooked="0" SuperAdBlocker_DIV_FirstLook="0">Recalled reading about this tip and got a clear wine bottle, filled it with water, attached a stopper and short hose. Works great.
<DIV SuperAdBlocker_DIV_Elements="0" SuperAdBlocker_OnMove_Hooked="0" SuperAdBlocker__Hooked="0" SuperAdBlocker_DIV_FirstLook="0">
<DIV SuperAdBlocker_DIV_Elements="0" SuperAdBlocker_OnMove_Hooked="0" SuperAdBlocker__Hooked="0" SuperAdBlocker_DIV_FirstLook="0">Thx for the tip. Got to get a few more airlocks, though.
<DIV SuperAdBlocker_DIV_Elements="0" SuperAdBlocker_OnMove_Hooked="0" SuperAdBlocker__Hooked="0" SuperAdBlocker_DIV_FirstLook="0">

When I first started I only had a handful of airlocks. Well My only spare was crushed by the wait of an ogre(my foot). I used a rubber glove with one pinhole at each finger. It kept presure and only purged when necessary.

Latest posts

Back