Nice to meet you all!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JoshDivino

Inquiring Knowledge Member
Reaction score
Hello all,
My name is Josh, I'm currently a student at Eastern Washington University (Go Eagles). I'm double majoring in Finance/Accounting. I grew up in the Yakima Valley of Washington, where if you know the area, is very into wine. My neighbors family owned a winery, so from the age of about 15 I began enjoying this awesome gift, (with parents consent at home of course.) I recently started making wine as a hobby when I'm not studying, and I'm very happy with my results. I have a pretty small set up, with a 2 gallon fermenter, 2-1 gallon carboys, auto siphon, hydrometer, and natural corks (always the real thing :p). I've made quite a few batches of amateur wine now, but I'm really looking to step the quality of product up. I really don't know where to start seeing as I'm pretty new to this, but would really love some input and hints!
I currently have a blackberry/raspberry/grape mix in my fermenter with energizer and Red Star Montrachet Red yeast. Nice to meet you all and I look forward to reading many guides and posts!
Josh Divino

Welcome to the forum!

Glad to see another from WA.
Grew up in Wenatchee myself, but im on the coast for now - still have lots of connections to the eastern side

There's lots of ways to enhance your winemaking, but it depends on what you were doing before, to know which facet of winemaking to tweak first. And it helps if you know where you want to go with your winemaking - dry reds, dessert wines, middle of the road, ports, etc..

Sanitation is key.
After sanitation and basic winemaking practices (which sounds like you may have a good handle on) almost everything is tweakable

Better nutrients
Additional additives
Oak - chips, cubes, staves, barrels
Different yeasts
Extracts
Different sugar sources - white cane sugar, honey, fruit

I'm sure im missing a few things..
It *can* be overwhelming if you let it, but just tackle one thing at a time

Welcome to the forum!!!

I used to live in Spokane and South Bend as a kid. I remember South Bend and The Raymond area the most, I really enjoyed living on the coast and growing up fishing, digging clams, and getting oysters. The Razor clams were my favorite.

We Washingtonians are taking over!!!!!!!! Thats right we make great wine in Washington!!!!!!! Welcome to the board Josh. Sorry about the Cheney thing but it aint that many minutes to Spokane

Welcome

And as an aside, get your CPA as soon after graduation as you can. It can make a heckuva difference.

Welcome to the posts, I did some commercial fishing as a kid in Bellingham Washington and I just love the area. You will definately learn alot from this forum, so keep on making wine and questions just ask,

Sal

Thanks for all the replies and help! What are some better yeasts to use? I read the understanding yeast sticky but couldnt make a whole lot of sense of it.
I've pretty much mastered the sanitation with IOdofor and have thought about getting oak chips from an Oregon dealer, I would like to expand in all areas, specifically a good recipe for a dry red, a good honey dessert, and a fruity blackberry wine.
Glad to know so many of us are from washington, I feel very at home already!
Razor clamming is such a blast!
I plan to get my CPA right away for the state of Illinois.
Cheney isn't that bad, you just have to know where to look to enjoy it!

CPA Fooey minor in Econ with the finance and make money

Welcome. Now go do your homework

Ha I don't need your advise on how to make money nor how to succeed in school, plus it's summer.

Welcome to our friendly wine making forum and hope you kick off your shoes and stay.

Hello and welcome ... we are from the north west originally also :b

read read read ... I have learned more in the time on this forum than I probably would have in years on my own.

Yeah I have already learned a TON in the few hours I've been browsing around! Oh how I love how the Internet makes knowledge so accessible!

Well, I'm here to say hello to everyone!
Have just signed up but I hope I'll like it within the board.
Also hope to find a lot of nice people here!

Welcome to a great forum! Lots of good folks here.

Latest posts

Back