Vineco Niagra Mist - Cranberry Shiraz

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dylusia

Junior
Reaction score
There is sooo much I don't know about making wine, and I'm not really confused.

On this kit (I currently have 3 going), Nov 29 the SG was 1.002 so I racked it from the primary into a glass carboy per instructions.

I check the kits every couple few days - not really impatient, just like to see and know what's happening.

I checked again December 1 and the SG was .998, December 3 SG .996 so I knew it was doing it's thing. The sales guy advised that this kit should bottom out around .994 or .992. I was checking a different batch today which is in a primary so I figured what the heck, I'll check the cranberry again. SG reading is 1.000. I figured that had to be wrong, it shouldn't go back up again. Took yet another reading and it's still showing 1.000.

So now I'm really confused, either I'm blind, my hydrometer is hooped or there is something else happening here that I don't know about.

I've been thinking maybe this and maybe that for the last 45 minutes but not having really any experience with this, I figured I'd throw it out there for folks that do have experience.. Why would the reading go back up?

Did you stir it up any of these times? If not you are most likely not getting accuaret readings. Also you may be getting inaccurate readings due to trapped C02.

Ah.. the things the instructions don't tell you. Thank you so much, that did the trick. Stirred the carboy a bit, didn't want to disturb the sediment too much, took a sample and stirred that up really well.. it's sitting at .996. I haven't lost my mind after all..

Latest posts

Back