Next project

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would either pick them ripe or pick them up as they fall off the bush. How many do you have? If it is only 1 bush, you will be hard pressed to get enough for a batch, unless it's a lot bigger than it looks in the picture. Maybe combine them with another fruit to get enough if you have to.

I will do that. Thanks appleman. There are a few more bushes. That was the best picture I could get of the ripe ones. If there is not enough on those bushes we have a bunch of wild ones around here also.

swil,

What would you compare a gooseberry to as far as the taste and texture?

So many interesting fruits out there!!

Ramona

It's kinda hard to describe. I will have to think on this one a little while. I can't think of anything right off hand. May be someone else can. I'll have to get back to you on this.

well as we see it the next question seems to be can I make wine outta it. And the answer seems to always be YESSSSSSSSS. Got to love the yeasties.

Ramona with a little pondering. And I mean little, something I don't do very well. I think the closest thing that come to a gooseberry would be a currant. Dad had currants when we were kids but I don't remember what they taste like. Gooseberry when picked for piesare green. When it is green they are hardand sour. But for wine I thought they would bebetter ripe. When ripe they are brownish black, soft and mushy. Tart but some what sweeter. I don't know if this is a very good descriptions.May be someone else has a better description then I have. Edited by: swillologist

Got a surprise this morning. Went to pick the gooseberries. The critters have beat me to them. Raccoons went under the netting and clean them out. I didn't even think about those things eating them. Only about 3 berries left on the bush. It would have been close but I probablywounldn't have hadenough berries to make wine anyway.
Now I have to start worrying about the sweet corn. Might have to dig out the electric fencer.

Latest posts

Back