Quantcast

Newby wants to bottle, now!

Wine Making Talk

Help Support Wine Making Talk:

Jasper24

Reaction score
Good day all and thanks in advance for any help you all provide.

I have a 4 month old watermelon wine (My first) that I am dying to bottle. The recipe calls for waiting until December but my mind and taste buds say bottle it now.

It's clear as a bell and taste believe it or not just like watermelon. It's sitting right now at 1.008. It is sitting in a stuck fermention I have been told since the ABV is around 16%.

So my question is one I am sure has been asked a thousand times, why wait to bottle it.

Thanks in advance, Hallie

NorCal

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I bottle my Chardonnay from grapes after 5-6 months.

My only concern for you, since you didn't follow the safe path of making a sweet wine (ferment dry, sorbate, back sweeten), is that you have a wine that could spontaneously start refermenting in the bottle and create "bottle bombs". I would give it a month to be sure its absolutely stable, and be careful how the bottles are stored.

fivebk

Reaction score
Add sorbate & metabisilfite wait a couple days and bottle. I don't think you have a stuck fermentation for the simple fact you have an alcohol level of 16%. I think it's finished

Bob

NorCal

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Add sorbate & metabisilfite wait a couple days and bottle. I don't think you have a stuck fermentation for the simple fact you have an alcohol level of 16%. I think it's finished

Bob
@Jasper 24 had another thread, where he described how the wine was made by step feeding the wine with sugar, resulting in 16% alcohol and 2% RS.

montanaWineGuy

Reaction score
Itching to bottle = itching to drink.

IMO you will drink it gone before any possible refermentation causes the dreaded bottle bombs. YMMV.

Latest posts