Other Newbie wine kit brewer

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewski09

Reaction score
Looking for a good tasting kit for a newbie. I like a good Pinot Noir or Cab Sav, but also like lighter reds like a Shiraz. I have patience to wait a few years to dring it too.

My first kit was a Winexpert international selection Chilean pinot noir. Started in August, and opened my first bottle about three weeks ago. I'm very happy with it.

I can't provide much more direction than that, though, since I'm still in the newbie category myself.

thanks. i don't even know where to start with the kits because there are so many of them to choose from brand wise. its not like beer kits where there are only a handful of brands and only 1 national brand.

Looking for a good tasting kit for a newbie. I like a good Pinot Noir or Cab Sav, but also like lighter reds like a Shiraz. I have patience to wait a few years to dring it too.
Most newbies want to drink the result before a 'few years', like in a few days or weeks. I'm not a newbie, and I'm drinking my wine before 'a few years'. Although I do have some very nice 5 year old wine.

Steve

I'm new too.

I bought a starter equipment set up from finevinewines.com and they had a deal on an inexpensive Cab to go with it as a package deal.

If you haven't brewed beer or made wine before (like me) I think this is the way to go. I made a few, recoverable mistakes with the process the first time or two and I am glad they were on cheap kits and not the ones I am currently working on or waiting to start.

How to sanitize, how to rack (and not suck up all the junk), when to rack, tempertures, etc. All these things aren't rocket science but a cheap 10L kit will give you experience AND early drinking even if the results aren't spectacular.

Most newbies want to drink the result before a 'few years', like in a few days or weeks. I'm not a newbie, and I'm drinking my wine before 'a few years'. Although I do have some very nice 5 year old wine.

Steve

hah, yeah. I've been brewing beer for a couple years now, and grew up in wine country, so the process will be pretty good for me and the patience is there. I would much rather pay more and wait longer for a better wine than drink it quickly. If I want something quick, i'll make a low gravity pale ale or some "Welch's Wine"

Welcome! I think it depends on your budget and what type of wine kit you want to try. Like a frozen must or concentrate..... I smiled about you being able to wait a few years.....I too am anxious to try my wine; I bottled my first kit about a month ago.

Also, you mentioned that you have brewed before. You mean wine or beer? I started with the winemaking over the winter, but started off right away by making slight deviations with boxed kits - like changing out yeasts and changing up the oak....oooo.....

Right now I am bulk aging a Wine Experts Cab Sav (a bronze medal winner) that right now tastes soooo good, that I am wondering what it will taste like after bottling and aging a few months more. I swear at this point the approx $99 kit already tastes like a $10ish bottle of wine at this point. It's young, but I can taste it behind the green. Better than Black box at this point in the game for sure.

I also have a cellar craft Int'l series marsanne, viognier,roussanne bulk aging and I can tell that will need time - also I am not a huge white fan. this was (to me) a more expensive kit at $150. I have seen these types of wine selling for over $30 a bottle.

Williams Brewing offers some lesser "structured" type kits that are more regional (i.e. california, lodi, etc..). The directions are not as clear as the cellar craft kits or WX kits, but maybe that is more up your alley.

So, I guess, my opinion is to start with something lower end to give yourself a bench point to work from. Just my humble opinion. Let us know what you do! I am curious.

I did the WE Limited edition Shiraz/Viogner that is less than a year old and very good right now.

I only went with the WE kit as that's what my LHBS carried the most of at the time. And it was also his recommendation. They are getting more RJS kits now so I'm trying some of those too. Not sure what would be a early red in that line. I also wanted a quality kit not one of the lower end kits. Especially for the wife. If I made a thin, flabby wine to start I don't think she would have been as supportive of this hobby.

If you're making 30 bottles:
$120/30=$4 per bottle
$75/30= $2.5 per bottle

The cheapest bottle get at the store is usually $10 so $4 for something that will be better than those is an easy justification for me to get the better kits.

George at fine vine wines is a wonderful resource for help and suggestions. He even suggested a WE kit to me (he doesn't sell WE kits). Although I have made almost 30 kits in four years I still talk over my purchases with him before ordering. I am sure most local shop owners (talk to owners or wine experts not the brew guys in the shops) will lead you right. Your success and happiness is in their best interest. Personally I have loved most all of the wines I have made and usually drink them between year one and two. There are so many medium priced kits ($135 - $159) with grape skins, that's what I would suggest. I have not done it yet but consider the Dashwood Pino Noir, RJ Spagnols EnPremiur. Then you can tell me if I should do it or not. No pressure! hahaha I have also been extremely happy so far with the WE
new skins kits.

Cellar Craft makes a wonderful full bodied Cab. "Red Mountain Cabernet".

George at fine vine wines is a wonderful resource for help and suggestions. He even suggested a WE kit to me (he doesn't sell WE kits). Although I have made almost 30 kits in four years I still talk over my purchases with him before ordering. I am sure most local shop owners (talk to owners or wine experts not the brew guys in the shops) will lead you right. Your success and happiness is in their best interest. Personally I have loved most all of the wines I have made and usually drink them between year one and two. There are so many medium priced kits ($135 - $159) with grape skins, that's what I would suggest. I have not done it yet but consider the Dashwood Pino Noir, RJ Spagnols EnPremiur. Then you can tell me if I should do it or not. No pressure! hahaha I have also been extremely happy so far with the WE
new skins kits.

I totally agree with Tony!! :tz

Darn, Fine Vine Wines has the RJS Dashwood Pinot on sale this month and I already have three kits waiting for primary. Wouldn't you know. I hate to pass up a good deal.

Latest posts

Back