Newbie questions

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

toronado13

Junior
Reaction score
After making two semi-successful batches of wine by following some kits, I've been dabbling with 1 gallon batches of wine using Welch's grape juice. I thought it'd be a much cheaper way to try some new things, and just get more wines under my belt. As I'm making these I have a few questions... maybe dumb questions, but never the less, here goes...

During primary fermentation, should I have an airlock on my primary fermentation bucket? or should I have the lid of with no airlock? or should I just have it "open"?

Is it ok to rack my wine out of the primary by pouring? Or is it really crucial to use a racking hose? Am I exposing the mostly fermented wine to too much oxygen doing this?

And maybe one last one for today, when I get it racked to my carboy, should I be concerned with the amount of space between the top of the wine and the bung?

If you dont have kids or animals that can get into it while fermenting then just cover the bucket with a cheese cloth and elastic band to keep the cloth from falling in.
If the wine is still fermenting when yku are pouring then its probably helping the wine a little by getting the yeast more 02. Im not you only do this once rouh racking while the wine is still gassy then I guess its just a way of degassing but dont keep doing this, just the initial rack from bucket to carboy.
If the wine is done fermenting then yes you should get this wine topped up or ylou are leaving your wine to a much better chance of an infection unless your S02 levels in the wine are perfect and you monitor it.

I agree with what Wade said.

As far as the headspace goes once you get your wine into the carboy. Alot of us will try to make the initial batch slightly larger to allow top up material. In your case, you stated you are dabbling with gallon batches. Make your primary amount a gallon and a pint or something along those lines so you can use the extra at initial racking when you will have the most lees. This will avoid excess headspace or the need to top up with water if you don't have a like wine.

I always do my primary with the lid just sitting on top no air lock.
as far as pouring i would recommend against it as it disturbs the lees too much and just adds more time for it to clear. you can get some clear hose from the hardware store for next to nothing.
Head space, i always like to have it up to the neck. about an 1/2-2" from the bung should be ok if its too close it can go up into the airlock.

Save some extra bottles, 375, 750ml and even a magnum. Start off with more than you want in the end and use the smaller bottles to have extra to aide in topping off of your gallon carboys.

The #2 bung fits these bottles. You will need extra wine after clearing as well. You can also use last years or a similar wine to top off as well.

My problem with last years or last batch to use to top off, is there's usually none left!

Latest posts

Back