newbie questions about primary

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gibblett53

rookie
Reaction score
Ok so I am new to the forums and new to wine making, and I seem to have a problem. I started a 5 gal batch of hard tea or tea wine. Its currently been in the primary for about 7 days… here is the problem, after I pitched the yeast and nutrients I sealed the primary lid and fitted an air lock. Upon reading more on the subject I found its better to not seal the primary. So I was wondering what at this point I could do to save my batch. Is it as simple as removing the lid and stirring it, and possibly adding more sugar? How will having the primary sealed for the first 7 days of fermentation effect the batch and what can be done at this point to help ensure a decent batch?
Thank you all for your time and help it is greatly appreciated.

1st, what was the original gravity?
What is it now?
fermentation can happen in closed lid :D

1st, what was the original gravity?
What is it now?
fermentation can happen in closed lid :D

unfourtunately i do not currently have a hydrometer, my local homebrew store is closed untill after the 4th.

The fact that you had an airlock on from the beginning should not be a real problem. I have done a few batches that way, and they turned out fine.

Should I assume you followed a recipe to determine the amount of sugar?

The fact that you had an airlock on from the beginning should not be a real problem. I have done a few batches that way, and they turned out fine.

Should I assume you followed a recipe to determine the amount of sugar?

yes i followed the recipe for the amount of sugar... the recipe called for 7.5 lbs. of sugar for 5 gal.

If you had your primary under a fermentation lock, have you noticed any signs of fermentation? Has the lock been "gurgling" as gas has escaped?

At 7 days you fermentation should be mostly complete (depending on yeast, temperature, and starting SG).

Like sour_grapes said, fermenting under a lock is not a best practice, but does not necessarily mean that you ruined your wine.

If you had your primary under a fermentation lock, have you noticed any signs of fermentation? Has the lock been "gurgling" as gas has escaped?

At 7 days you fermentation should be mostly complete (depending on yeast, temperature, and starting SG).

Like sour_grapes said, fermenting under a lock is not a best practice, but does not necessarily mean that you ruined your wine.

the lock had been releasing gas at a steady pace. it has recently slowed to a bubble or two escaping every 10 to 15 seconds.

Hey giblet. I also have made the tea wine. what I do is put more tea bags in the carboy after stabilization while its aging. It seems to give it more of a final tea flavor.

Just FYI, that should result in a SG of about 1.061, which, in turn, should result in about 8.1% ABV.

But it would be best to acquire a hydrometer!

Thank you for the caclulation. I plan on getting a hydrometer as well as the rest of the must haves for equipment as soon as my local homebrew store opens next monday. Would adding more sugar result in a higher ABV or would that be determined by the type of yeast used?

Hey giblet. I also have made the tea wine. what I do is put more tea bags in the carboy after stabilization while its aging. It seems to give it more of a final tea flavor.

That sounds like a good idea, I was thinking of over steeping a few teabags and using it to make a simple syrup to backsweeten after I stablize.

Great info everyone I really appreciate all the help.

Back